Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dale Strickler <Da...@DirecWay.com> on 2005/02/25 18:46:03 UTC

Re: patch - DEFAULT_ vars in IndexWriter non-final and DEFAULT for useCompoundFile

Hi all,

A quick comment from a lurker that is new to this project.

 From a distance, this sounds like it could be handled with an
"optimization" parameter, like .jpg interfaces do for the general
public.  Have a control that you set for to a few values for
large/medium/small indices.  Internally the "optimization" API, for now,
will set the MergeFactor value to one of a few values.  Then if the
developers end up throwing out the MergeFactor and/or introducing other
indexing factors they can just re-map to the "optimization" API to the
internal controls.   I know this approach is often distasteful to
developers but I have met a lot of customers/end users that love this
approach.  And if any of you have optimized a JPG in your favorite paint
program I bet you have not thought much about what actual numerical
'constants' you were messing with.

Just $.02 worth from a new set of new eyes....  feel free to ignore me... :)

-Dale