Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Murray Collingwood <mu...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/12 14:10:39 UTC

My ISP dumped me

Hi folks

I have a problem with one of my new sites not connecting to the MySQL
database.  I believe the problem is  definitely in the context.xml, however
different things happen when I move the app between two servers.  You can
see the site at http://www.pancakemanor.com.au and although it looks like
there is data coming up I can assure this is the hardcoded sample text I
display if there are no records from the database.

<Context path="" docBase="pancakes" override="true">
<Resource name="jdbc/focus_pancakes" auth="Container"
   type="javax.sql.DataSource"
   maxActive="20"
   maxIdle="6"
   maxWait="600000"
   driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
   username="pancakes"
   password="***hidden***"
   url="jdbc:mysql://203.96.16.7:3306/focus_pancakes?autoReconnect=true"
/>

When running on my ISP hosts machine the app fails to connect to the
database.  Not sure of the message, my ISP wouldn't send them.  If I run the
app locally on my Tomcat server and connect to my database at the ISP it
works fine.

What makes it worse is the email I received today from my ISP.  They're
pulling support for Tomcat and leaving me in the lurch.  Check out the email
below.  Does anybody have any ideas what I should try and do?

Kind regards
Murray

Hi Murray,
We have closely examined the server configuration and operation, we have
experimented with modifing various parts of the configuration.

We can see the logs on the database server, and we know that the website
is not even attempting to make a connection when the website is browsed.
We can see regular entries for the other sites in the database logs, and
can safely assume that the associated websites are functioning correctly.
e.g. *http://www.backpackers-express.com/* and
*http://www.focus-computing.com.au/*
**
**The most we will do is deploy the war file as supplied, if it doesn't
work, we can not assume responsibility.

As Bill is no longer with Actrix, Actrix is no longer able to support JSP
in the form provided by Bill as he had a unique skill set around this
product.

Management has made the decision to halt further development on JSP
under Windows. We are hoping to offer the service again in 3-6 months on
a unix platform where we can support it with our current skill set.
---
Regards,
Mark Munro.
<*webmaster@actrix.co.nz*>