Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Justin Cohen <ju...@teamaol.com> on 2010/08/18 15:35:23 UTC

adding compression to a table

Can I add record level compression to a preexisting table?  Will old
rows be compressed or only new rows?

For example, if I use the hbase shell and disable, alter {...COMPRESSION
=> 'gz'....}, enable....  Do I need to run a compaction as well?

Or do I need to create a new table?

-justin

Re: adding compression to a table

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Justin,

You don't need to explicitly call a compaction, conversion will be
done over time. But if you do want to have them converted right away,
call a major_compaction.

J-D