Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Juergen Baumann <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/06 14:22:02 UTC

tomcat 4.0.2 replace an application

I try to replace an application via the HTTPManager with a
newer version (newer .war file) as follows:
1. Click the remove link
   (http://localhost:8080/manager/remove?path=/<myapp>)
2. The application disappears from the list, however the
   /webapps/<myapp> directory still exists.
3. Delete the /webapps/<myapp> directory manually
4. If I try to install the new .war file using:
   Install a webapp
   Path:/<myapp>
   War-URL:jar:file:/C:/test/tomcat.4.0.2/<myapp>.war!/
   I get the follwing error:
FAIL - Encountered exception java.lang.IllegalStateException: zip file
closed

If I stop Tomcat, start it again and repeat step 4, it works and
I get the following message:
OK - Installed application at context path /<myapp>

If I only perform step 1, 2 and 4 I get the following message:
OK - Installed application at context path /<myapp>
However, the files in the /<myapp> directory remain unchanged

What do I miss or is my assumption wrong that I can replace an
existing application with a newer version w/o restarting Tomcat?

Thanks a lot
JB