Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Raymond Wilson <ra...@trimble.com> on 2017/02/12 22:35:11 UTC

Effective size limit for cache items in Ignite

Hi,

What is the practical size limit for items in an Ignite cache?

I suspect the answer is something “As large as the memory you have to hold
it”, but my question is more aimed at the practicality of large items in a
cache due to the overhead of pulling copies of the items out of the cache

For instance, let’s say I had cache items in the 64Kb size range, and had
requests that commonly refer to those cache items to perform some work on
them in response to a request. Will each Cache.Get() request require an
extraction and repackaging of the cache item prior to handing it back to
the caller as a new (copied) version of that cache item, or is there a way
for just a reference to the cache item to be returned to the caller?

I understand there is a way to designate the information in a cache as just
blobs of data with no serialisation semantics. In this case does a
Cache.Get() return a pointer or a copy (with a local locking semantic to
prevent change)?

Thanks,

Raymond.

Re: Effective size limit for cache items in Ignite

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
> If CopyOnRead has no effect in .Net, why is it exposed in the .Net API?

It may be useful when Java and .NET nodes work together in one cluster.
For example, you may want to start cache from .NET, but use it in Java as
well.

Ignite.NET is built on top of Ignite Java. We start JVM in process.
So yes, Ignite.NET API always has some overhead (JNI calls, data copying).

However, in real-world scenarios this overhead is usually minor.
For example, according to some becnhmarks I did, doing put & get of a simple
user object with 4 nodes on 4 machines is ~5% slower in .NET than in Java.

Of course, this depends a lot on how your objects look, your cluster setup,
and many other things. The only way to know is to measure your exact
scenario.

> if my code was Java, rather than c#, setting CopyOnRead result in an
object reference being passed to the client with no transmission of data
and no deserialization overhead, even if not using Binary Mode, is that
correct

In some cases yes (if that object is not on another node and not in offheap
memory).

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:51 AM, Raymond Wilson <raymond_wilson@trimble.com

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
Hi Raymond,