Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/01/27 20:29:14 UTC

Re: "invalid XML" repro

Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
> Here's what happened: I have a WC checked out from the 1.0-stabilization
> branch. Now that the branch has been renamed, I can't update that WC any
> more -- I get the error that the report contains invalid XML. It seems
> that the update reporter can't follow changes forward through a rename.
> "svn switch --relocate" doesn't help, either.
>
> I suspect fixing this will require a change in the WC lib logic.

Ben and I encountered this too.  Some comments:

The error from 'svn up' is a genuine bug, Ben's filing an issue.

The 'svn switch --relocate' is pilot error (I made this mistake too).
This is not a situation for a relocate, tempting as it seems on first
glance.

But plain 'svn switch' does work, as it should.

-Karl

Re: "invalid XML" repro

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>Yah, when you run 'svn up' in your 1.0-stabilization WC, you should see
>a nice coherent error about "cannot delete anchor of update".
>(Technically, the directory no longer exists in HEAD.)

But logically it does, under a different name. This state of affairs is
an argument for atomic renames, see? (Not that we can really implement
atomic renames without a schema change -- therefore 2.0...)

Re: "invalid XML" repro

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Yah, when you run 'svn up' in your 1.0-stabilization WC, you should see
> a nice coherent error about "cannot delete anchor of update".
> (Technically, the directory no longer exists in HEAD.)  Instead, we get
> a weird XML error.  Looking in ethereal, the REPORT response seems to be
> empty.  I'm filing a bug on this.

I would not be surprised if my recent modifications to
dav_svn__update_report cause this invalid XMLness.

Re: "invalid XML" repro

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 15:31, Branko Čibej wrote:

> >But plain 'svn switch' does work, as it should.
> >

> Huh, right, now why didn't I try that? Ah, well... at least I'm
> stressing the server with three simultaneous checkouts right now (one
> over https) -- and all seems to work. :-)

Yah, when you run 'svn up' in your 1.0-stabilization WC, you should see
a nice coherent error about "cannot delete anchor of update".
(Technically, the directory no longer exists in HEAD.)  Instead, we get
a weird XML error.  Looking in ethereal, the REPORT response seems to be
empty.  I'm filing a bug on this.

But 'svn switch newURL' worked perfectly fine.  The server did a
comparison between (oldrev, 1.0-stablization) and (HEAD, 1.0.x), which
is a legitimate comparison.  And my WC's urls got rewritten correctly,
which is the usual stuff of 'svn switch'.

('svn switch --relocate' is *only* for times when the schema and/or
hostname change.  It assumes that your WC continues to represent the
same repository path, only the "external" parts of the URL need
rewriting.)

Re: "invalid XML" repro

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
>

>>Here's what happened: I have a WC checked out from the 1.0-stabilization
>>branch. Now that the branch has been renamed, I can't update that WC any
>>more -- I get the error that the report contains invalid XML. It seems
>>that the update reporter can't follow changes forward through a rename.
>>"svn switch --relocate" doesn't help, either.
>>
>>I suspect fixing this will require a change in the WC lib logic.
>>

>Ben and I encountered this too.  Some comments:
>
>The error from 'svn up' is a genuine bug, Ben's filing an issue.

Good. Not a showstopper, though. :-)

>The 'svn switch --relocate' is pilot error (I made this mistake too).
>This is not a situation for a relocate, tempting as it seems on first
>glance.

Yes.