Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/06 08:26:01 UTC

JMX startup hangs when linux firewall is active ( ie iptables )

Hi

On my linux ( Centos 5.5+ ),  karaf management hangs on start up ( up
to 5minutes ) when iptables firewall is enable.  Karaf does throw
connection timeout exception to stdout complaining about not able to
bind to jmx port.

While in this state, shell command does work  ( like ld , features, etc )

is it the expect behavior, or is it better to bail out quick?

Thanks

-Dan

Re: JMX startup hangs when linux firewall is active ( ie iptables )

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Dan,

Sorry, I've missread you're first mail. I've read that commands "doesn't
work" instead of "does work" -.- Nevermind, they should NOT hang. If they
do we have a bug.

@Timeout: The "problem" are the iptables. If the port is simply used a
connection is refused. IPTables are a little bit more tricky here since
they accept the conection but timeout during the communication (to hide
which ports are really opened and which not). Well, IMHO we should wait at
least the longest realistic time for a real jmx to answer. Question is: how
long is realistic here :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.