Posted to user@impala.apache.org by Евгений Юшин <ev...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/21 10:58:08 UTC

Timestamp and Java UDF

Hi there

Docs claim:
Currently, Hive UDFs that accept or return the TIMESTAMP type are not
supported.

Acceptable types in the source code:
https://github.com/apache/impala/blob/master/fe/src/main/java/org/apache/impala/hive/executor/UdfExecutor.java#L143

What is the reason behind the scene?
Why this functionality is supported for C++ binding, but not for Java?
Is there any tech issues related to this topic?

I want to implement several UDF helpers/aliases/shortcuts to get time in
different time zones.

Regards,
Eugen

Re: Timestamp and Java UDF

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
I don't think there's a fundamental reason - just no-one has done the work
yet.

I expect this is harder to do for timestamps than other data types, because
there are more questions about how to represent the timestamp, timezones,
etc, in such a way that it's consistent with Hive UDFS.