Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/20 19:07:45 UTC

Modifying cassandra.yaml has no effect?

Hi,

I change the `data_file_directories` field from /var/lib/cassandra to
/mnt/cassandra in conf/cassandra.yaml, stop and restart cassandra but
it doesn't seem to affect Cassandra at all. Does cassandra deployed by
whirr use cassandra.yaml at all? Thanks.

-k

Re: Modifying cassandra.yaml has no effect?

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.
every whirr service has a 'intsall_<service_name>.sh' and
'configure_<service_name>.sh', which has all the bash commands for setting
up the servers that whirr starts.

You can override these scripts and add your own custom functionality.  To do
this, create a directory called "functions" in the whirr folder.  Then copy
the file
"whirr-0.6.0-incubating/services/cassandra/src/main/resources/functions/configure_cassandra.sh"
into the "functions" folder, and modify the file to update the yaml file the
way you want.

Hope that helps...
John

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thank you. This is very useful. I didn't know there is a
> "configure_cassandra.sh" script.
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:31 PM, John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me> wrote:
> > we did the same thing, but overrode the configure_cassandra.sh script in
> the
> > functions folder, and did sed commands to to update all the output
> folders
> > to point to /mnt as their root.  This way you dont have to log on to each
> > cassandra machine in the ring, stop it, reconfig it, and restart it.
>  easy
> > peazy!
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Cassandra config files should be in /etc/cassandra/conf
> >>
> >> Are you editing /etc/cassandra/conf/cassandra.yaml?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> -- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro
> >>
> >> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Khanh Nguyen <
> nguyen.h.khanh@gmail.com>

> > --
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John C

John C

Re: Modifying cassandra.yaml has no effect?

Posted by Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Conwell <jo...@iamjohn.me>.
we did the same thing, but overrode the configure_cassandra.sh script in the
functions folder, and did sed commands to to update all the output folders
to point to /mnt as their root.  This way you dont have to log on to each
cassandra machine in the ring, stop it, reconfig it, and restart it.  easy
peazy!

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cassandra config files should be in /etc/cassandra/conf
>
> Are you editing /etc/cassandra/conf/cassandra.yaml?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro
>
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I change the `data_file_directories` field from /var/lib/cassandra to
> > /mnt/cassandra in conf/cassandra.yaml, stop and restart cassandra but
> > it doesn't seem to affect Cassandra at all. Does cassandra deployed by
> > whirr use cassandra.yaml at all? Thanks.
> >
> > -k

John C

Re: Modifying cassandra.yaml has no effect?

Posted by Khanh Nguyen <ng...@gmail.com>.
Oh. Thanks. I was editing /use/local/apache-cassandra/conf/cassandra.yaml

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.