Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by J <we...@fluidic.com> on 2003/06/24 23:02:12 UTC

AbstractEngine.cleanupAfterRequest() question

I'm using Hibernate as my database layer, and I have a quick questions
about AbstractEngine.cleanupAfterRequest() method.
Does this method always run when the request is completed its round trip?
Would this be a good place to close connections that would be stored in a
ThreadLocal variable?

I'm trying to make some of the object/relational mappings faster by using
lazy initializations for related objects.  Right now, if I load a single
object that 300 relationship, all 300 related objects are
loaded.  Sometimes I just don't need that.  So I was going to place a
session in a ThreadLocal variable so each thread would have its own "object
connection" (called a session in Hibernate) .  During that request, a
single session would be available to the request until it was
finished.  Then in the extend class of BaseEngine, I would have code that
could close this object connection.  Good idea or bad idea?  Anyone else
have any patterns that work well with Tapestry?