Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/10/01 08:26:33 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] apr-client

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 01:20:52PM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> [...]

OtherBill had a very good point, in that "apr-client" is a bit too generic.
He suggested "apr-htclient" but I thought that was a bit too much of a
mouthful for a project name...

I suggested taking a page from the XML and Java guys, and using a more
interesting name. So... I figured "a client is subservient to the server".
So the name "serf" works well in that regard, meaning a slave to the server.
It is also a homonym for "surf", which is what an HTTP client does...

Seems like others agreed, and so now we have apr-serf :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 01:20:52PM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:

Right.  Thanks for explaining, because this was indeed the only thing
I wanted to know: where it came from :)

> Seems like others agreed, and so now we have apr-serf :-)

I can live with that without problems :) :)

> Cheers,
> -g

Sander