Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shrikant Navelkar <sh...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/07 06:59:22 UTC

Tomcat scalability

Hi,

We are planning to deploy an application (JSP/Tomcat/Oracle) for 300-400
concurrent users.  The hardware is HP/True UNIX platform and it is very
powerful.  Unfortunately we can not deploy the application in a phased
wise manner.

Can somebody help us to understand :
1.  How scalable Tomcat is ? Are there sufficient examples of Tomcat for
300 + users ?
1.  What are the tools available for scalability testing ?
2.  Any document  describing performance tuning of Tomcat server
3.  Can we implement multiple tomcat instances on same server for better
performance ?

Thanks in advance

Shrikant

Re: Tomcat scalability

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
1a) It depends on your code. TOmcat can handle it but only if your code can
also scale.
1b) Free: Jmeter, seige, apache ab - it depends on the type of test
2) See the faq or wiki
	http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/performance.html
   	http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tomcat/UsefulLinks
3) Maybe. This really depends on
  - Do you have multiple CPUs
  - Can you a single JVM use multiple CPU's effectively (as compared to 2 or
more)
  - Do you have enough memory
  - What nuances (to your advantage or disadvantage) are there is thread
scheduing across mutlitple  JVMs / CPUs for your OS.

-Tim

Re: Tomcat scalability

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
before you can answer that question, you need to know what the average
and peak concurrent requests is. without that 300-400 concurrent users
doesn't mean much.

If those 400 users hit the site once per minute average over 30
minutes, it would mean 12,000 requests in 30 minutes.  Even if the
user hits the site once every 30 seconds, that would only be double
24,000 requests in 30 minutes.  if I naively divide that to get
requests/second, I get roughly 14 concurrent requests per second.  Put
it another way, that is basically 4% of the users sending a request at
the same time.

I would suggest stress testing your application. It's probably a good
idea to look at your production access logs and run some stats. that
way you're using real data as the basis of your test.

peter

Re: Tomcat scalability

Posted by Lionel Farbos <li...@free.fr>.
Hi,

If you want to use Tomcat for high loads, I suggest you to use apache/mod_jk and a cluster of Tomcat instances.
With this solution you'll have load-balancing and failover for a lot of users.
I don't use a HP very powerful, so, for the performances, I don't know if it is better to have one instance or several instances, but for the administration (applications upgrades, ...) and failover it is better to have several ones.

For high performances, some readings :
http://cvs.apache.org/~woolfel/benchmark_summary.pdf
http://cvs.apache.org/~woolfel/tc_results.html
http://brandlay.com/wojtek/publ/tomcat.jsp