Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Alex Blewitt <Al...@ioshq.com> on 2003/08/15 14:05:56 UTC

[License] Which spec license?

There are two flavours of SPEC license that are in the specs/j2ee/
directories.

Which one should I use? And should one/either of them be more
standardised?

My feeling is that the one listed in the Java source file (below) looks
nicer than the one in LICENSE.txt, and recommend that:

1) I use the format as from Handle.java
2) We update LICENSE.txt in the specs/j2ee directory to conform to the
same style.

Can someone let me know which I should do?

Also, I'm going to have a JAR of the JavaMail APIs (about 150k zipped)
to go in. Would it be better to mail to someone personally than the
whole group? This list eats enough bandwidth as it is :-)

There's a LICENSE.txt file in modules/spec/j2ee which looks like:

--- 8< --- LICENSE.txt

/* ====================================================================
  * The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
  *
  * Copyright (c) 2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
  * reserved.
:
  * ====================================================================
  *
  * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
  * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation.  For more
  * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
  * <http://www.apache.org/>.
  *
  * ====================================================================
  */

//
// This source code implements specifications defined by the Java
// Community Process. In order to remain compliant with the
specification
// DO NOT add / change / or delete method signatures!
//

And there are entries in the individual files

--- 8< --- Handle.java (for example)

Re: [License] Which spec license?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
I wanted to keep the notice separate from the copyright, and used a
different comment style to make it stand out.  I missed it the first 20
times, as I just assumed it was the default license.  Use the
LICENSE.txt in the module root as the template.

--jason