Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Lewis <ml...@xelent.net> on 2002/07/29 20:48:03 UTC

Only serving from the default INDEX.HTML problem

I am having a problem with 2.0.39 setup. I have several 2.0.36 sites running
without problem and have compared the configurations with the problem box.
They appear identical (given the difference in site names, etc.). This is
the problem: Regardless of what site I ask it to bring up, I always get
served the INDEX.HTML from /VAR/WWW/HTML. The DNS entry for the site is
pointing to the right place (verified), I can upload the site pages with FTP
(verified), but if I attempt to access the site by name or IP address, I get
the default INDEX.HTML. I am running Red Hat 7.3 for the first time.
IPCHAINS is configured to allow port 80 and 21 through. The document root is
set correctly and the permissions of the account allow read access.  My
server root has been changed to "/httpd" (standard on all my systems). There
are no error messages in my log file. I have been through the documentation
and FAQ's a bizzilion times. It just keeps giving me that damned default
page (yes, I've pressed refresh after changes). I'm pulling out what's left
of my hair. I'm sure it's something simple that I've overlooked. I've
decided to pull the car over and ask for directions. Please help.

Thanks

Re: Only serving from the default INDEX.HTML problem

Posted by Tony Vinayak <tv...@optonline.net>.
Mike,

What does your access log show (with log level bumped to debug)?

Tony

Posted by Nathan Eror <na...@baremetal.com>.
Hi, Micheal

> Appreciate the idea, but yes, it's all lower case. This is a site that I
> transferred from another machine by publishing in Frontpage. No files were
> changed and I verified that I could see it locally with "links
> /home/nepsay/index.html". It came up fine. If I try "links www.nepsay.org" I
> get the default index.html page. If I try http://216.153.179.11 I get the
> default page.

I don't know if this is useful for you or not, but I noticed the webserver
responding on port 80 for that ipaddress is not 2.xx you thought you where
using.

[nate@willy bash.scritps]$ telnet 216.153.179.11 80
Trying 216.153.179.11...
Connected to 216.153.179.11.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 20:22:24 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_ssl/2.8.7 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
DAV/1.0.3 PHP/4.1.2 mod_perl/1.26

Cheers,
Nathan

Posted by Michael Lewis <ml...@xelent.net>.
Tony,

I created the error purposely by giving an incorrect HEAD command to get
some more information.

Michael

Posted by Tony Vinayak <tv...@optonline.net>.
Michael,