Posted to bridges-user@portals.apache.org by Mark McLaren <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/04 10:11:07 UTC

How about a struts-blank-bridges-portlet.war? (and my concerns for the future)

Hi all,

How about creating a struts-blank-bridges-portlet Maven archetype?  I
think we need to be able to demonstrate how easy and quick portlets
can be to write!

I'm a big fan of the Struts Bridge and was very pleased to see the
recent release in December 07.  What concerns me is that the noisier
portlet developers who write Spring Portlet MVC or Struts 2 portlets
(etc.) seem to be getting most of the attention when it comes to the
beginners question "How do I write a portlet?".

Personally (as a Struts 1.x developer), I see Struts Bridge as the
most natural way to create a portlet as it can be developed and run
standalone.  I am at a loss as to why more people are not using Struts
Bridge (could it be the documentation or lack of examples?).  I am
concerned for the long term future of the Struts Bridge product as the
alternatives seem to be grabbing the majority of the market share.

Mark

--
"Paradoxically, the more time saving abstractions you are using the
more you actually have to know." - Simon Willison

Re: How about a struts-blank-bridges-portlet.war? (and my concerns for the future)

Posted by Mark McLaren <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> Mark McLaren wrote:

>> Hardly a showcase but my own modest Struts bridge based portlet
>> contributions are a bookmarks and a newsfeeds portlet, available from:
>>
>> <http://bmarks-portlet.sourceforge.net/>
>
> That definitely *looks* cool (I haven't had time to try it or look at the
> code).
> I don't see the license mentioned on the project summary page though.
> Would this be ASF compatible?

Licensing isn't really my area of expertise.  I am happy for people to
use and abuse my applications for whatever purpose as long as I have
no blame for anything!  I am utilizing several other open source
libraries whose licenses I am not qualified to speak for.

Mark

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Mark McLaren wrote:
> Thanks Ate,
>
> I am delighted to hear that the portal bridge project is still very
> much alive and that further innovations for transparent portlet
> development are in the pipeline.  The SpringMVC bridge project sounds
> particularly promising.
>
> I really appreciate all the hard work you have put in over the years.
> I completely understand your "call to arms" and I would love to help
> if I can.
>
> Hardly a showcase but my own modest Struts bridge based portlet
> contributions are a bookmarks and a newsfeeds portlet, available from:
>
> <http://bmarks-portlet.sourceforge.net/>
That definitely *looks* cool (I haven't had time to try it or look at the code).
I don't see the license mentioned on the project summary page though.
Would this be ASF compatible?

> Also, a long time ago (Nov' 2005), I wrote some introductory Struts
> Bridge documentation on the JA-SIG uPortal wiki (it might be a little
> dated now).  This documentation, such as it is, still ranks quite
> highly on Google for "Struts bridge".
>
> <http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/PLT/Struts+Bridge>
Thanks, nice (and short) description of the required steps!

> As far as, further contributions goes:
>
> I'd be happy to contribute a struts-blank-bridges-portlet.war - I have
> something basic working already.
>
> As for extensions, for my portlets I created a portlet aware version
> of the JSTL XML tag library (derived from a similar uPortal
> contribution).  The XSL would include <portlet:renderUrl> tags to
> designate internal application links to be generated by the XSL.
> (useful if you are not using Struts' html:link all the time).  If you
> are interested I can put together a simple example application.
>
> My experience with uPortal community is that their Wiki provides a
> great means to accelerate community documentation and signpost
> community developments.  I notice there is a Apache Portals wiki but I
> could not find much there for the Portals Bridges project - would this
> be the best place to post future community documentation/tutorial
> material etc
?.

Yeah, I know the Portals Wiki isn't exactly "inviting" nor very interesting at the moment.
The technical part (and very much part of the cause imo) is something under discussion (moving to Confluence, upgrading
to a much newer version of MoinMoin but we're lacking the resources and experience for that to honest).
For the time being though, I'd suggest to use the current Wiki as that's the quickest route right now.
And if/when we move/upgrade to something better, existing content will be moved over too of course.

Thanks,

Ate

Posted by Mark McLaren <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ate,