Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by herbert farmer <hf...@hotmail.com> on 2000/02/11 04:28:13 UTC

Re: Tomcat 3.0: users not invited?? (Public apology)

>You will quickly learn that this is a 100% volunteer organization.
>Most of us can only work on this project part time since we have
>to have real jobs that pay our salaries. So, if things are not
>perfect, generally we know that already and do not need to have it repeated
>to us.

I understand and I'd like to help. If things are not working and
the all the project members know it, new people like myself who
want to get involved have no way to find out if they don't ask.
Hence the reptetition seen by those in the know (but it's still
news to us newbies). What's the best way to fix this? How can I
help?

>Also, a simple note like "here is exactly what i did...and it doesn't work"
>is usually enough. Adding commentary about how users
>are not invited, etc really isn't appreciated. Just because you can
>hide behind email doesn't make it right to put our hard work down.
>We are working the best that we can.

My subject line was intended as facetious - I guess I had hoped
to get that across by labelling it as flame bait. If it was not
taken that way, and anyone was offended, I apologize and take
it back right here, right now, without reservation, period. I didn't
want to put anyone down, and I have the greatest respect for those
who put their time into projects like Jakarta. As I said in my
inappropriately labelled note, I want to play too, please tell me
how.

-- Herbert F. Farmer
   hffarmer@hotmail.com

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
> If things are not working and
> the all the project members know it, new people like myself who
> want to get involved have no way to find out if they don't ask.

Actually, a web-based, searchable mailing list archive (do we have one?) should
help alleviate this problem.  :)

If we don't have one, someone on the list with a server might just sucker me
into setting one up...

Re: Tomcat 3.0: users not invited?? (Public apology)

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 2/10/00 7:28 PM, herbert farmer <hf...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My subject line was intended as facetious - I guess I had hoped
> to get that across by labelling it as flame bait.

Why bother? Even potential or joking flamebaits are a waste of time.

> As I said in my
> inappropriately labelled note, I want to play too, please tell me
> how.

The TODO document is a good start. ;-)

FYI, I just fixed the problem you had with the FAQ and cookies. It was a bug
in Turbine, the framework that Jyve (the FAQ) is implemented on top of. It
should work for you now.

http://java.apache.org/jyve-faq/Turbine

-jon

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>