Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/07/21 19:30:58 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache/src/helpers GuessOS

FWIW, auto detecting -n32 and then using it can be a hassle for people who
develop local modules/libraries and have them built -o32 still.  I know I
was able to build an -n32 apache just by putting the -n32 in EXTRA_CFLAGS
and EXTRA_LDFLAGS.  But we can see how it goes during the beta.

Dean

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
n32 is a new ABI with faster linkages to shared libs and better/faster
register conventions for function calls.  The exact changes I'm not sure
of.  It is better to use -n32, but if you want compatibility with IRIX 5.3
or you want to use any older libraries you need to use -o32.

I think there's an -o64 as well as a -n64 too, but I'm not sure.  There's
definately a -n64.

One of them is the default on your O2, I don't know which.  One of -n32 or
-n64 is likely.

Dean

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.