Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Mike <mi...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/30 15:33:45 UTC

Adding column family to hbase table

Hi All,

I use hbase 0.92 and I am trying to add a column family to hbase table
and I get the below error.

ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.TableNotDisabledException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.TableNotDisabledException: test

After disabling the table, I can add the column family.

But in production environment, I will not be able to disable the table.

Is there a way without disabling table, I can add the column family?

Thanks

Re: Adding column family to hbase table

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.
Online schema update is an experimental feature and has known issues,
especially if the table has a region split under progress.

You can enable it by setting "hbase.online.schema.update.enable" to "true"
in the configuration file(s) and restarting the HBase services.

More here <http://hbase.apache.org/book/upgrade0.92.html#d2064e2639>.

Aditya Kishore