Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/15 15:40:45 UTC

I put my machine to sleep, and now I've a problem

I have an accumulo install on my laptop. (1.3.5) Yesterday, without
stopping any processes, I closed the cover to put it to sleep.

Today, I came back to find that the master wasn't running. So I did
something fairly dumb, and ran start-all again. Here's what happened.
Trying to run stop-all.sh now gets

15 09:37:35,950 [impl.ThriftTransportPool] WARN : Thread "admin" stuck
on IO  to localhost:9999:9999 (0) for at least 120203 ms

I guess I'll just start firing up kill commands and hope for the best.

15 09:32:15,536 [shell.Shell] ERROR:
org.apache.accumulo.core.client.AccumuloException:
org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: Failed to connect to
a server
█▓▒░benson@tinfoilhat░▒▓██▓▒░ Wed Feb 15 09:32:16P
/opt/accumulo-1.3.5-incubating/ jps
2780 Main
2086 QuorumPeerMain
1990 DataNode
13478 Jps
2072 SecondaryNameNode
1907 NameNode
2894 Main
3014
█▓▒░benson@tinfoilhat░▒▓██▓▒░ Wed Feb 15 09:32:23P
/opt/accumulo-1.3.5-incubating/ bin/start-all.sh
Starting tablet servers and loggers .... done
Starting logger on localhost
Starting tablet server on localhost
2012-02-15 09:32:31.647 java[13558:df03] Unable to load realm info
from SCDynamicStore
15 09:32:31,813 [security.UserGroupInformation] INFO : JAAS
Configuration already set up for Hadoop, not re-installing.
Starting master on localhost
Starting garbage collector on localhost
localhost : monitor already running (2780)
localhost : tracer already running (2894)
█▓▒░benson@tinfoilhat░▒▓██▓▒░ Wed Feb 15 09:32:36P
/opt/accumulo-1.3.5-incubating/ bin/accumulo shell -u root
2012-02-15 09:32:43.356 java[14170:df03] Unable to load realm info
from SCDynamicStore
15 09:32:43,467 [security.UserGroupInformation] INFO : JAAS
Configuration already set up for Hadoop, not re-installing.
Enter current password for 'root'@'default': ******

Shell - Accumulo Interactive Shell
-
- version: 1.3.5-incubating
- instance name: default
- instance id: 0f20de2f-a1b7-47dc-a877-740f901b22db
-
- type 'help' for a list of available commands
-
root@default> droptable entity
15 09:34:52,478 [impl.ThriftTransportPool] WARN : Thread "shell" stuck
on IO  to localhost:9999:9999 (0) for at least 120211 ms

Re: Suspension

Posted by Adam Fuchs <ad...@ugov.gov>.
I think this makes a lot of sense. I use Accumulo enough on a laptop to be
annoyed at how often I have to run start-all.sh.

One way we could do this is to have a separate daemon process restart
accumulo processes anytime they go down. I think log recovery is almost as
efficient as any other way of suspending memory to disk, and it doesn't add
any extra complexity to the code base. The only other concern is having the
daemon restart a process that should actually be down, and we would have to
work out the model for that.

Adam

Re: Suspension

Posted by John Vines <jo...@ugov.gov>.
On Feb 15, 2012 10:57 AM, "Billie J Rinaldi" <bi...@ugov.gov>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:38:41 AM, "Aaron Cordova" <
aaron@cordovas.org> wrote:
> > Such an option would have to be very conspicuous so that users don't
> > accidentally enable it and then wonder why bad tablet servers aren't
> > removed automatically from the cluster.
>
> We could call it laptop.mode.

+1

Re: Suspension

Posted by Adam Fuchs <ad...@ugov.gov>.
This isn't really just a laptop problem. We also see hiccups in clusters
(admins accidentally the whole network, etc.) that we would want to
automatically recover from. I think having self-restarting processes could
be generally useful.

I think that an option of not using zookeeper timeouts might lead to abuse,
and could be very bad for stability under rare failure modes. We make a lot
of assumptions throughout the code about these timeouts, and we would have
to reconsider a large part of that model.

Adam

Re: Suspension

Posted by Aaron Cordova <aa...@cordovas.org>.
I don't know if a general process-starting service belongs in the Accumulo project .. but, it is cumbersome to run a large distributed service without some such service. Are there existing things out there that come close? I'm sure there are tools that monitor machines for missing processes that can ssh in and restart them ..

There are systems that are designed according to principles such as "CrashOnlySoftware" and Erlang's "LetItCrash" in which processes are stopped by crashing and startup always involves recovery, which is kind of elegant since you don't have to design non-crash and non-recovery stop and start sequences. However, I think Accumulo is not quite designed that way right now and it might be a lot of work to make it that way and it might not be a good idea anyway.

I also anticipate that making all processes, including ZooKeeper, able to continue operating in the presence of large gaps of time might be a lot of work and might destabilize monitoring and recovery mechanisms already in place. It would only be worth doing if it became clear that it could be done cleanly, and while keeping the standard, non-laptop, and non-VM/non-EC2 mode of operation intact. I value stability over nice-to-have but outside-the-core-use-case features at this point.

Re: Suspension

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.

--
Joseph Echeverria
Cloudera, Inc.

Re: Suspension

Posted by Aaron Cordova <aa...@cordovas.org>.
Yeah, we don't want to let designing a restart service distract us from the suspension discussion.

Issuing a 'suspend' command sounds like a third option.

So far we have:

1) run Accumulo in a mode that ignores long timeouts (perhaps enabled just before suspension)
2) let Accumulo die (no modification to Accumulo) and rely on a to-be-created restart service
3) issue a command to suspend processes before suspending the VM / OS

Perhaps the 'suspend' command just enables ignorance of timeouts, but if you're gonna issue a command, you might as well just issue the 'shutdown' command.

What's the start-up time like for large clusters now days?

Also, what is the effect of taking all tables offline?

Re: Suspension

Posted by John Vines <jo...@ugov.gov>.
Perhaps we want a suspend option which provides the ZK timeouts one large
skew before it expects normal behavior again?

John

Re: Suspension

Re: Suspension

Posted by Adam Fuchs <ad...@ugov.gov>.
I think we would start out by enumerating the cases in which processes die
and we want them to stay dead, and then consider the repercussions of
trying to restart them in those cases. What cases can you think of in this
space? Here's my short list:
1. Logger dies due to running out of disk space. Restarting it should be
safe because it checks this condition every time it starts?
2. A node is behaving "wonkily" and we choose to remove it from the
cluster. In a manual override condition we can just kill the restarting
daemon. That would take care of restarting assuming we can log in on that
node. If we can't log in, this could be accomplished through a decommission
list in Zookeeper that the restarter checks before trying to launch.
3. A tablet server or logger gets overburdened and can't keep up with its
load. As long as we wait for the cluster to rebalance, this should lead to
a better balanced cluster.

This is by no means a complete list, so please add to it.

Adam

Re: Suspension

Posted by John Vines <jo...@ugov.gov>.

Re: Suspension

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.

Re: Suspension

Posted by Aaron Cordova <aa...@cordovas.org>.
Such an option would have to be very conspicuous so that users don't accidentally enable it and then wonder why bad tablet servers aren't removed automatically from the cluster.

It would also require some thought to make sure that large gaps in all processes' consciousnesses (5 s's in that word!) don't cause other undesirable effects.

Re: Suspension

Posted by John Vines <jo...@ugov.gov>.

Suspension

Posted by Aaron Cordova <aa...@cordovas.org>.

Re: I put my machine to sleep, and now I've a problem

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
Anything interesting displayed on the monitor pages?  Do you have a logger
and tablet server running?  Any logged errors?

-Eric

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.
On Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:12:07 AM, "David Medinets" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Press ^C and you'll get an option to force shutdown in a clean manner.

Yes, this probably would have helped Benson with 1.3.  To clarify, 1.4 did not exhibit the stuck behavior; it started up normally.

Billie

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.