Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io> on 2016/09/09 22:45:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Kafka 0.10.1.0 Release Plan

Hi All,

I've volunteered to be release manager for the upcoming 0.10.1 release and
would like to propose the following timeline:

Feature Freeze (Sep. 19): The 0.10.1 release branch will be created.
Code Freeze (Oct. 3): The first RC will go out.
Final Release (~Oct. 17): Assuming no blocking issues remain, the final
release will be cut.

The purpose of the time between the feature freeze and code freeze is to
stabilize the set of release features. We will continue to accept bug fixes
during this time and new system tests, but no new features will be merged
into the release branch (they will continue to be accepted in trunk,
however). After the code freeze, only blocking bug fixes will be accepted.
Features which cannot be completed in time will have to await the next
release cycle.

This is the first iteration of the time-based release plan:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Time+Based+Release+Plan. Note
that the final release is scheduled for October 17, so we have a little
more than a month to prepare.

Features which have already been merged to trunk and will be included in
this release include the following:

KIP-4 (partial): Add request APIs to create and delete topics
KIP-33: Add time-based index
KIP-60: Make Java client classloading more flexible
KIP-62: Allow consumer to send heartbeats from a background thread
KIP-65: Expose timestamps to Connect
KIP-67: Queryable state for Kafka Streams
KIP-71: Enable log compaction and deletion to co-exist
KIP-75 - Add per-connector Converters

Since this is the first time-based release, we propose to also include the
following KIPs which already have a patch available and have undergone some
review:

KIP-58: Make log compaction point configurable
KIP-63: Unify store and downstream caching in streams
KIP-70: Revise consumer partition assignment semantics
KIP-73: Replication quotas
KIP-74: Add fetch response size limit in bytes
KIP-78: Add clusterId

One of the goals of time-based releases is to avoid the rush to get
unstable features in before the release deadline. If a feature is not ready
now, the next release window is never far away. This helps to ensure the
overall quality of the release. We've drawn the line for this release based
on feature progress and code review. For features which can't get in this
time, don't worry since January will be here soon!

Please let me know if you have any feedback on this plan.

Thanks!
Jason

Re: [DISCUSS] Kafka 0.10.1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hi All,

I've added the release plan to the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Plan+0.10.1. I've
begun moving some JIRAs to 0.10.2 which didn't seem to be being actively
worked on, but there's still a lot of pruning to do. If there are no
objections, I will begin a vote on this release plan.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hey Rajini,

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
> [...]

> > review:
> >
> > KIP-58: Make log compaction point configurable
> > KIP-63: Unify store and downstream caching in streams
> > KIP-70: Revise consumer partition assignment semantics
> > KIP-73: Replication quotas
> > KIP-74: Add fetch response size limit in bytes
> > KIP-78: Add clusterId
> >
> > One of the goals of time-based releases is to avoid the rush to get
> > unstable features in before the release deadline. If a feature is not
> ready
> > now, the next release window is never far away. This helps to ensure the
> > overall quality of the release. We've drawn the line for this release
> based
> > on feature progress and code review. For features which can't get in this
> > time, don't worry since January will be here soon!
> >
> > Please let me know if you have any feedback on this plan.

Rajini

Re: [DISCUSS] Kafka 0.10.1.0 Release Plan

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Sriram Subramanian <ra...@confluent.io>.
+1

Plan looks good to me. Thanks a lot for putting this together!