Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/02 21:52:47 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-738: Removal of Connect's internal converter properties

Thanks for putting this together, Chris.

Technically, we don't need a new KIP to explicitly remove an API, config,
etc. that was previously deprecated under an earlier approved KIP. But
KIP-174 could have been a bit more explicit (note taken for future KIPs)
that deprecation means "deprecation and future removal", and KIP-738 does
add a nice migration path for anyone stuck using a non-default internal
converter.

So I'm +1 (binding) to just wrap this up and remove these configs.

I'd also point out there is a wiki page [1] and dev discussion thread [2]
highlighting all Connect-related KIPs, including all deprecations. I'll
update that page to include KIP-736, but it'd be great to have more
discussion there.

Randall

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=177047362
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r01e9fa52998a337e435e5d0effca02e74b0552bdec271c1eeca39cd2%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

Posted by Chris Egerton <ch...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi all,

The KIP passes with three binding +1s from Randall, Tom, and Konstantine,
and one non-binding +1 from Ryanne. I'll have a PR out shortly. Thanks to
all who participated!

Cheers,

Chris

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <ko...@confluent.io.INVALID>.