Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gabriele Bulfon <gb...@sonicle.com> on 2011/01/17 18:21:54 UTC

Tomcat web app versioning

Hello,
I read somewhere that the latest Tomcat 7 is able to handle web app versioning, but I can't
find any documentation about it.
What is it about?
Thanks
Gabriele.
-= Mail sent through WebTop2 =-

Re: Tomcat web app versioning

Posted by Gabriele Bulfon <gb...@sonicle.com>.
Fantastic! This is a feature I asked about on this list some months ago, because Resin already
has something similar, and I was answered that this was not in the to do list for Tomcat.
Maybe someone has listened to my request? ;)
Thanks a lot, this saves me so much from the hassle of updating customers web apps!
;)
Gabriele.
Gabriele Bulfon - Sonicle S.r.l.
Tel +39 028246016 Int. 30 - Fax +39 028243880
via Felice Cavallotti 16 - 20089, Rozzano - Milano - ITALY
http://www.sonicle.com
Da: Mark Thomas
A: Tomcat Users List
Data: 17 gennaio 2011 18.34.40 CET
Oggetto: Re: Tomcat web app versioning
On 17/01/2011 17:21, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
Hello,
I read somewhere that the latest Tomcat 7 is able to handle web app versioning, but I can't
find any documentation about it.
What is it about?
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Introduction
covers the basics.
Note versions are treated as strings so ##11
Mark

Re: Tomcat web app versioning

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/01/2011 17:21, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> Hello,
> I read somewhere that the latest Tomcat 7 is able to handle web app versioning, but I can't
> find any documentation about it.
> What is it about?

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Introduction
covers the basics.

Note versions are treated as strings so ##11 < ##2. zero pad as necessary.

Mark

RE: Tomcat web app versioning

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R
> Subject: RE: Tomcat web app versioning

> > From: Gabriele Bulfon [mailto:gbulfon@sonicle.com]
> > Subject: Tomcat web app versioning

> > I read somewhere that the latest Tomcat 7 is able to handle web
> > app versioning, but I can't find any documentation about it.

> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html

Also, there's a recent doc change described here:
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=129525285728765&w=2

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat web app versioning

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Gabriele Bulfon [mailto:gbulfon@sonicle.com]
> Subject: Tomcat web app versioning

> I read somewhere that the latest Tomcat 7 is able to handle web
> app versioning, but I can't find any documentation about it.

> What is it about?

To quote from the changelog:

"Implement support for parallel deployment. This allows multiple versions of the same web application to be deployed to the same context path at the same time. Users without a current session will be mapped to the latest version of the web application. Users with a current session will continue to use the version of the web application with which the session is associated until the session expires."

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat web app versioning

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/01/2011 17:32, Pid wrote:
> On 1/17/11 5:21 PM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I read somewhere that the latest Tomcat 7 is able to handle web app
>> versioning, but I can't
>> find any documentation about it.
>> What is it about?
>
> There's a description towards the end of the introduction:
>
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html
>
> The attribute used is 'webappVersion', though I'm struggling to find
> that documented anywhere.

It isn't documented since it is not intended for users to set it directly.

Mark

Re: Tomcat web app versioning

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.