Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Henric Rosvall <he...@opv.se> on 2007/04/26 13:20:37 UTC

Printing filters

Hi !

Is the PrintTranscoder unable to handle filter-effects?
Cause I've noticed some weird behaviour from the PrintTranscoder when
having filters in my SVG. It seems that as soon as a filter is used
somewhere, the entire page is rendered as a low res bitmap, before it's
sent to the printer. This means that not only does text get jagged, but
the 300 DPI images on the JSVGCanvas look really bad (like 50 DPI-bad),
and the page takes roughly 90-120 MB instead of 10-30 MB (depending on
what images are loaded).
But as soon as I stop using filters, it all works like it should.

Any idea of how to solve this, or is my application always going to have
to ban all filter-effects?

Examples:

No filters on the page, great looking print, 12,2 MB

Simple filters on the background-rect and on the text, crappy looking
prints, 99,8 MB

Regards
Henric Rosvall

Re: Printing filters

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Henric,

"Henric Rosvall" <he...@opv.se> wrote on 04/26/2007 07:20:37 AM:

> Is the PrintTranscoder unable to handle filter-effects?

   It handles them fine, but as you have noticed it has to
rasterize them.  This is because the filters basically can't
be mapped to any of the printing formats.

> Cause I've noticed some weird behaviour from the PrintTranscoder
> when having filters in my SVG. It seems that as soon as a filter is
> used somewhere, the entire page is rendered as a low res bitmap,
> before it's sent to the printer.

   Only the filtered content should be rasterized.

> This means that not only does text get jagged, but the 300 DPI
> images on the JSVGCanvas look really bad (like 50 DPI-bad), and
> the page takes roughly 90-120 MB instead of 10-30 MB (depending
> on what images are loaded).

    The images should render at "printer resolution" what ever
the JDK thinks it is.  Not that this really helps that much as
your 100MB files could easily blow up to 400MB.

> But as soon as I stop using filters, it all works like it should.
>
> Any idea of how to solve this, or is my application always going to
> have to ban all filter-effects?

   Unfortunately filter-effects are problematic for printing
since they are more advanced then most back ends can handle.
The require conversion to dumb bitmaps...