Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/25 16:14:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Design by committee

On 25 November 2014 at 14:31, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> -1 - only because a) I don’t understand the purpose of what is going on on
> the bird’s chest and

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmbWMy3KPTNcnuorFhjAJABm6Al8mGBu8pMsxf8mmljydrIR4O

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT24xwn6POkIGDYTCiTQV-Mplu-S7Cd1tRtgiraaZb9VutICnW1

just two photos of owls that a quick GIS revealed where the feathers on the
owls belly are typically a lighter colour or a different pattern from the
rest of the owl.

Originally this was a white patch... people objected...

The scalloping is to give the feather effect... and there are two sets of
scalloping because any single sold colour results in the shotgun effect

Some people go extra cute and make the center section a "heart"

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlwk2CQuHz9q9alG8iY5BDiC0mqWOpJBdIMmxXO7nZpN7xhWP1LA

Others go for a different colour with more explicit feather imagery

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVOyxAkja3O_JbGfsKAhwAVFHS1fNUblq3NiT8IxAgE6waH-ARcA

We want something different from others... and I like this end result...

> b) I love the idea of putting the bird in a sweater with the letter “M” on
> it.

My skills of an artist did not give a good rendition... I did try though.
If my skills were better perhaps I could have delivered such an owl...
maybe somebody will contribute a version where CK removes his glasses and
turns into super-owl

Re: [DISCUSS] Design by committee

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
> On Nov 25, 2014, at 8:14 AM, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 25 November 2014 at 14:31, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> -1 - only because a) I don’t understand the purpose of what is going on on
>> the bird’s chest and
>

> https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmbWMy3KPTNcnuorFhjAJABm6Al8mGBu8pMsxf8mmljydrIR4O
>
> https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT24xwn6POkIGDYTCiTQV-Mplu-S7Cd1tRtgiraaZb9VutICnW1 <https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT24xwn6POkIGDYTCiTQV-Mplu-S7Cd1tRtgiraaZb9VutICnW1>

Nice photos!

> just two photos of owls that a quick GIS revealed where the feathers on the
> owls belly are typically a lighter colour or a different pattern from the
> rest of the owl.
>
> Originally this was a white patch... people objected...
>
> The scalloping is to give the feather effect... and there are two sets of
> scalloping because any single sold colour results in the shotgun effect
>
> Some people go extra cute and make the center section a "heart"
>
> https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlwk2CQuHz9q9alG8iY5BDiC0mqWOpJBdIMmxXO7nZpN7xhWP1LA <https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlwk2CQuHz9q9alG8iY5BDiC0mqWOpJBdIMmxXO7nZpN7xhWP1LA>

This one actually looks like an owl to me.

> Others go for a different colour with more explicit feather imagery
>
> https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVOyxAkja3O_JbGfsKAhwAVFHS1fNUblq3NiT8IxAgE6waH-ARcA <https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVOyxAkja3O_JbGfsKAhwAVFHS1fNUblq3NiT8IxAgE6waH-ARcA>

Hmm. Looks like an owl wearing “old man” pants to me. ;-)