Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2020/02/03 14:07:50 UTC

[VOTE] Retire Taverna from Apache Incubator?

Hi,

I think we have to be honest with ourselves.

While we had a good go at Taverna in the Apache Incubator, and lots of
great effort over the years, we seem to have ground to a standstill.

It looks now almost impossible that we will graduate from the incubator
and continue to thrive as a top-level Apache project.

I am as guilty as everyone - emails missed, builds not updated, releases
not completed. The tasks were not large, but they still demand continued
volunteer effort, which sadly we now seem to have not got anymore.

I think I speak for all of you when I am grateful for all the time
and effort everyone has committed since we moved to Apache Software
Foundation in 2014.

It is therefore with sadness that I call this vote on retiring
Taverna from the Apache Incubator.

I don't think there is any shame if we come to this conclusion,
this project started 2003-02-24 and the world of bioinformatics and web
services has changed significantly since then.

For more information about what retirement means, see
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html

In terms of codebase my suggestion is that we move the git repositories
to http://github.com/taverna/ with a clear README indication that
they are no longer maintained.

I think we should invite anyone on this list to join that GitHub
organization for a passive curator role, or to delegate if someone
later wants to reboot the activity.

See also previous discussion from 2019-09:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f9db87bf752c1b77773f2f0ac5be9afd34d29a7cff76d66728a0f713%40%3Cdev.taverna.apache.org%3E

PLEASE INDICATE YOUR VOTE:

[ ] +1 Retire Taverna
[ ]  0 Undecided
[ ] -1 Do not retire Taverna

The vote is open for at least 72 hours for anyone on this list, with a
lazy consensus.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [VOTE] Retire Taverna from Apache Incubator?

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
[+1] Grateful for being along for the ride

Posted by Sube Singh <su...@hcl.com>.
[ -1]  Do not retire Taverna

[...]

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.
________________________________

Re: [VOTE] Retire Taverna from Apache Incubator?

Posted by "Donal K. Fellows" <do...@manchester.ac.uk>.
> PLEASE INDICATE YOUR VOTE:
>
> [ ] +1 Retire Taverna
> [ ]  0 Undecided
> [ ] -1 Do not retire Taverna

Sorry for not noticing the vote earlier.

  [x]  0 Undecided

Re: [VOTE] Retire Taverna from Apache Incubator?

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
Thank you, Stian!

Posted by Stuart Owen <st...@manchester.ac.uk>.
+1 Retire

Thanks Stian and all the contributors that have kept things going as
best they can.

regards,

Stuart.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
+1 Retire

Posted by Sagar <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Serban Mardaloescu <se...@gmail.com>.
  [ -1] Do not retire Taverna

[RESULT] [VOTE] Retire Taverna from Apache Incubator

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
+1 Gale Naylor (binding)
+1 Sagar (binding)
+1 Stian Soiland-Reyes (binding)
+1 Stuart Owen (binding)
-1 Sube Singh
-1 Serban Mardaloescu

With 4 IPMC binding votes, and 2 objections,
the retirement vote for Taverna has passed.

Vote thread:
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r559e0dd047103414fbf48a6ce1bac2e17e67504c546300f2751c067c%40%3Cdev.taverna.apache.org%3E>

Thank you to all that voted.

I would like to give a large Thank You to Apache Software Foundation,
IPMC, mentors and volunteers for the patience of letting us have a go
at incubating.  I think we have learnt a lot.

For retiring we can request moving the Taverna git repositories to
the GitHub organization <https://github.com/taverna> where the
license remains Apache License 2.0, so development can continue at any
pace (or none).

Taverna PPMC folks and other interested; if you have not yet
received an invite, feel free to reply personally with your GitHub
username I can add you there as a "Caretaker".

After de-branding ("Apache Taverna" -> "Taverna") we can also try to
move the website and documentation to GitHub Pages, hopefully ASF will
afford us a HTTP redirect.

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

In order to continue as an Incubator project the PPMC needs to adhere to its responsibilities, that includes submitting prodding reports on time. You have now missed two reports in a row, if you miss three and we continue to get no response as to why, the Incubator PMC will discuss removing the project form the Incubator.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Retire Taverna from Apache Incubator?

Posted by Rajan Maurya <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 Retire Taverna

Thanks
Rajan Maurya

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 7:14 PM Shoaib Sufi <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As painful as it is to have to decide:
>
> +1 Retire Taverna
>
> Thanks to Stian and everyone for the excellent work they have put in on
> this project over the years.
>
> Best
> Shoaib
>
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 2:08 PM Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think we have to be honest with ourselves.
> >
> > While we had a good go at Taverna in the Apache Incubator, and lots of
> > great effort over the years, we seem to have ground to a standstill.
> >
> > It looks now almost impossible that we will graduate from the incubator
> > and continue to thrive as a top-level Apache project.
> >
> > I am as guilty as everyone - emails missed, builds not updated, releases
> > not completed. The tasks were not large, but they still demand continued
> > volunteer effort, which sadly we now seem to have not got anymore.
> >

> > I think I speak for all of you when I am grateful for all the time
> > and effort everyone has committed since we moved to Apache Software
> > Foundation in 2014.
> >

> > It is therefore with sadness that I call this vote on retiring
> > Taverna from the Apache Incubator.
> >

> > I don't think there is any shame if we come to this conclusion,
> > this project started 2003-02-24 and the world of bioinformatics and web
> > services has changed significantly since then.
> >

> > For more information about what retirement means, see
> > https://incubator.apache.org/guides/retirement.html
> >
> > In terms of codebase my suggestion is that we move the git repositories
> > to http://github.com/taverna/ with a clear README indication that
> > they are no longer maintained.
> >
> > I think we should invite anyone on this list to join that GitHub
> > organization for a passive curator role, or to delegate if someone
> > later wants to reboot the activity.
> >

> > See also previous discussion from 2019-09:
> >

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f9db87bf752c1b77773f2f0ac5be9afd34d29a7cff76d66728a0f713%40%3Cdev.taverna.apache.org%3E
> >

> > PLEASE INDICATE YOUR VOTE:
> >
> > [ ] +1 Retire Taverna
> > [ ]  0 Undecided
> > [ ] -1 Do not retire Taverna
> >
> > The vote is open for at least 72 hours for anyone on this list, with a
> > lazy consensus.
> >
> > --
> > Stian Soiland-Reyes
> > https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

--
*Thanks*
*Namaste*

Rajan Maurya
Contact Number : +91 9015090523
Github : @Github/therajanmaurya <https://github.com/therajanmaurya>,
LinkedIn: @LinkedIn/therajanmaurya
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/therajanmaurya/>,
Medium: @medium/therajanmaurya <ht...@therajanmaurya>

Re: [VOTE] Retire Taverna from Apache Incubator?

Posted by Shoaib Sufi <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
+1 Gale Naylor (binding)