Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Haszlakiewicz, Eric" <EH...@transunion.com> on 2010/11/02 18:20:43 UTC

RE: Request to re-open MNG-3472

What in the world are you talking about?  How can you claim that everyone's has the capability and the money to buy terabytes of disk space, especially for everyone's local repositories?

>> From: Brian.Levine@nokia.com
>> To: users@maven.apache.org
>> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:28:27 +0200
>> Subject: RE: Request to re-open MNG-3472
>>
>> I'm not suggesting that Maven periodically run a task to purge the repo.
>I'm suggesting that a settable policy be implemented such that a max number
>of versions of a snapshot artifact be kept in the local repo. When that
>limit is exceeded, the oldest version is deleted.
>>
>> Yes, it's easy enough to do an rm -rf on your local repo. But that
>assumes that you understand why you need to do this or have been told by
>your dev team to do this and that you remember to do it before you realize
>that a lot of disk space is being used up by something.

This is even more of a problem when you have dozens of people performing builds on a variety of shared machines.  It seems like many people don't realize that not everyone limits their use of maven to personal PCs with huge disks.  When you have several people working on the same system "oh, it's just a few GB" quickly ends up turning into "out of disk space".

>> IMHO, a tool should never have unbounded access to resources such as disk
>space. Further, I don't think stakeholders (not all of which are
>developers) should need to understand the inner working of Maven or what
>they need to do work around a limitation such as this.
>>
>> -brian

I definitely agree with this.  It's hard enough to get people to clean up the files that the explicitly create.

eric

Re: Request to re-open MNG-3472

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 03/11/2010 1:17 PM, Haszlakiewicz, Eric wrote:
> [...]

~/.m2 directories are disposable and do not need to be anywhere special
nor backed up.
Your Nexus can be mirrored if you work in different locations and want
to offer LAN speeds rather than Internet speeds for developers.

We keep ours in our datacentre off-site but have thought about moving it
to the development site to get the speed.
I would not mind moving it to the cloud to get more bandwidth and less
concern about disk space.

I do not worry about the disk space particularly but I am not deploying
a lot of Snapshots to Nexus since we have a small team and higher QC
standards about what gets deployed.

Losing the Nexus database is not my biggest worry since most of the
stuff is third party and I do have the sources in Subversion to rebuild
any version of what is deployed to Nexus. I am not saying that I would
enjoy the process but it would only slow us down for part of a day if we
had to restore from a backup that was a month old. A bit longer if we
had to manually rebuild from scratch to get the 3rd party libraries that
have to be manually uploaded and to redeploy the current versions under
development from our sources.
Most of the versions of our stuff could be lost without any crying. No
one wants to put our production applications back to an earlier version
so we would only have to rebuild new stuff or something from the current
version in production.

My Subversion repo does get backed up and that would worry me if I lost
it! Nexus - not so much.

Posted by "Haszlakiewicz, Eric" <EH...@transunion.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 02/11/2010 3:29 PM, Haszlakiewicz, Eric wrote:

Maven would have a hard time knowing what to throw out but I suppose
that if it supported a simple rule-set (max space allowed, delete oldest
Snapshots if space needed) and the ability to turn automated cleaning on
and off it might be useful.

Posted by "Thiessen, Todd (Todd)" <tt...@avaya.com>.
> My point it that using more disk space has more costs than just the price
> of a drive platter.

It also has a lot of savings. And besides, you don't need all the frills. What you doing right now sounds very very costly. A simply investment in a bare bones server will save you a lot.

RE: Request to re-open MNG-3472

Posted by "Haszlakiewicz, Eric" <EH...@transunion.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.