Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luminous Heart <lu...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/19 18:53:52 UTC

Craig, PoolMan, latest version WAS the problem.

Ok. I reverted to an older version of PoolMan, where
we use pool.prop instead of pool.xml. That version
works fine. I have not hit the exception although I
tested it for sometime.

Does that mean am stuck to the older poolman? Is there
a better solution to handle database pooling?

Thank you.

--- Luminous Heart <lu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am sorry, but I did not get what you mean with
> connection limit to be a hard limit, which one is
> that?
>
> I am including a copy of my pool.xml if you care do
> point out what should be changed.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> ==================== Pool.xml =====================
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <poolman>
>
>   <management-mode>local</management-mode>
>
>   <datasource>
>
>     <!-- ============================== -->
>     <!-- Physical Connection Attributes -->
>     <!-- ============================== -->
>
>     <!-- Standard JDBC Driver info -->
>
>     <dbname>webdev</dbname>
>     <jndiName>webdev</jndiName>
>     <driver>org.postgresql.Driver</driver>
>
> <url>jdbc:postgresql://localhost:6093/webdev</url>
>
>     <username>JustAUserName</username>
>     <password>JustAUserNamePassword</password>
>
>     <!-- Oracle needs this to be set to true -->
>     <nativeResults>true</nativeResults>
>
>     <minimumSize>1</minimumSize>
>     <maximumSize>10</maximumSize>
>     <connectionTimeout>600</connectionTimeout>
>     <userTimeout>12</userTimeout>
>     <shrinkBy>10</shrinkBy>

<logFile>/usr/local/tomcat/logs/poolman.log</logFile>

=== message truncated ===

RE: Craig, PoolMan, latest version WAS the problem.

Posted by Andrew Conrad <an...@attbi.com>.
Instead of using poolman, you could use dbcp.  It's the default
connection pool for TC 4.1.x

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html

- Andrew

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
Did you try using a soft limit?  That combined with a larger
scavenge count and a shorter time limit on the connections
(not the user time limit) should allow you to scale decently.

Also you really should check the connection to be sure that
it's not a null connection prior to using it.  That should
also elminate the problem, but you'd have to add some code
to handle when it's not there (retry acquiring a connection
most likely).

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson