Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Baz <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/22 20:48:09 UTC

Simple example for maven 2 release goals?

All,

I would like to obtain simple instructions of incoroperating the use
of release goals in my build system that consists of CruiseControl or
Continuum and Maven 2. I have read the pages in
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/ and
understanding that could simplify my life but still not exactly how to
use it. I wonder if someone can give me some sort of working example
and templates.

Here are the things that I would like to do:

Environment:
1. Perforce.
2. Continuum/CruiseControl.
3. Maven 2.
4. Windows OS.

Build types:

1.Continuous builds.
- Build tree resides in build machine itself.
- Maven 2 site generation.
- External webpages point directly to the generated pages within the
build tree for reports.
- P4 labelling? Not necessary.
- Archiving? Not necessary.
- Version: SNAPSHOT.

2. Nightly/Daily builds.
- Build tree build in build machine, then archive into file share location.
- Maven 2 site generation.
- External webpages point to the generated pages build tree that
reside in the archive file share location. I am assuming that we
keeping 7 days of daily builds. Builds are overwritting each others.
- P4 labelling? Yes.
- Archiving? Yes.
- Version: I dont know what is the best practice here? I dont want to
use snapshot and I would like to use time stamp as part of the file
name, is it possible? For example, package-070102.*.

3. Ad-hoc/release builds.
- Build tree build in build machine, then archive into file share location.
- Maven 2 site generation.
- External webpages point to the generated pages build tree that
reside in the archive file share location. I am assuming that we keep
30 builds.
- P4 labelling? Yes.
- Archiving? Yes.
- Version:  dont know what is the best practice here? I dont want to
use snapshot and I would like to use time stamp as part of the file
name, is it possible? For example, package-070102.*.

Thank you and please comment.

A.

Re: Simple example for maven 2 release goals?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Yes and yes, plus longer questions are less likely to be answered than
shorter ones. Also it feels like you haven't done all of your own
homework on these issues, so rather than trying things out and then
asking for specific help with things when you're stuck, you're just
throwing it out there to the world and hoping someone will help you in
general.

Finally, its not entirely clear what you are looking for. Even after
reading the email in its entirety, I'm not entirely sure what kind of
response you want/need other than "working examples of everything I
need". This is not a great way to use this list, it seems.

Wayne

Posted by Baz <ba...@gmail.com>.