Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Heligon Sandra <sa...@nextream.fr> on 2002/10/11 11:23:58 UTC

Error messages and ApplicationResources file

	I have a question about the location of the error messages.
	I don't use servlet engine authentication, I must make a connection
	an back-end server that does authentication.
	The server can return exceptions because userName or password are
	not correct.

	For example in my LoginAction:

	try{
		server.login(userName, pwd);
	}
	catch (ExInvalidLoginNameOrPassword ex)
    	{
      		errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_ERROR,
            		 new ActionError("error.password.mismatch"));

    	}
	if ( !errors.empty() )
    	{
      		saveErrors(request, errors);
		return (new ActionForward(mapping.getInput()));
	}

	I would like to know if the message associated to the
ExInvalidLoginNameOrPassword
	and identified by the key error.password.mismatch has to be
necessary in the
	ApplicationResources.properties.
	Several error messages are common to multiple applications (not
necessarily Web, but
	JAVA applications).
	The file that defines the messages must be common to all
applications.
	Is it possible to include a properties file in the
ApplicationProperties file ?

	Is it possible to define messages, with parameters ? that are
defined when
	we add the error ?

	Is it possible to define resources dynamically ?
	In a file like this:

	public class  Application_en extends java.util.ListResourceBundle
	{

	  static final Object[][] contents = new String[][]
	  {

		   //
		    // ---   Error messages
---
		    //
		    { "ErrNotYetImplemented"     , "METHOD NOT YET
IMPLEMENTED !"},
	 }
	}

	I prefer the declaration method with the properties file but it is
not necessarily
	the choice made for a project. I would like to know if the
properties file is the
	only way with Struts to define messages.

	Thanks a lot in advance,
	Sandra