Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Werner Punz <w....@labor-c.net> on 2002/07/26 19:04:28 UTC

Feature request

First I guess, I introduce myself. I am one of the persons, who tries to
integrate Velocity into the OpenCMS project (in fact I started it).
(http://www.opencms.org)

So far it works fine except one problem. I have to access via Velocity a
virtual file system, which is based on a relational database. So far so
good, I made my own resource loader. But the problem is there is no way
within the standard Velocity API to pass down an extra parameter which
can change dynamically upon loading the resource to the resource loader,
unless you pass it directly to the loader.

But then you have to put the whole loading into a synchronized block to
avoid threading problems.

Anyway, this parameter is essential in my case to give access to the
virtual file system.

Passing it down directly via statics and synchronize the pass and call,
was my first solution. After a discussion in OpenCMS mailing list we
opted for another solution, by adding methods to the Velocity classes
which allow the passing of a separate object down to the resource
loader, if the loader implements a special interface. The problem with
this is, that every time a new Velocity version comes out the code has
to be readjusted. The best way to solve these problems probably would be
to integrate an extension which allows the passings of additional
parameters down to the local resource loader.

I´d like to put this feature request into the mailing list (a first port
on 1.3.1rc2 of the classes is already done but not let loose into the
wild currently, and a full port of 1.2 can be found on the OpenCMS
server). I´d like to discuss this issue with you on how to solve this
problem in a better way than it currently is solved.

Werner Punz Labor_C