Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/09 21:44:33 UTC

[Superset] Convenience Releases

Hi all,

How should we go about convenience releases? Currently I'm thinking
Pypi.org, but we could think about Docker / DockerHub as well.

First thing to know is that a convenience release for Superset is likely to
contain minified [aka "compiled"] javascript out of hundreds of libs. In
theory these libs are scanned and approved by FOSSA license-wise, and
generating that report will be part of the release process. Is that ok? I
mean is Apache ok with us distributing that bundle?

Alternatively, it could *not* contain the minified javascript. We'd have to
find some solutions to a few challenges. Maybe run a new `superset
build-js` CLI command that would:
* bootstrap `npm` locally
* download JS build deps
* build locally (minutes)
* find a place to put these files (can't mutate Python's install dir
"site-packages")
* ...

On the docker side, maybe an official Dockerfile, but no official DockerHub
entry?

Max

Re: [Superset] Convenience Releases

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Oh no, looks like someone claimed "apache-superset" on pypi.org, probably
by mistake. https://pypi.org/user/cidiomar.dias.restoque/

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
I don't think there is a problem with that. Please note that as far as Apache is concerned any artefact consideres to be "Apache superset" needs to be available from it's official release location. So it's fine to "copy" this over to pypi/docker but not to have a "different" release at those locations.

B.

P.S. a docker build would be nice, with proper security settings please ;-)

Sent from my iPhone