Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Mark S. Kent" <ma...@vistyx.com> on 2001/11/16 22:13:13 UTC

Xalan and xsl:sort speed by type

Anyone know which is faster using Xalan (in Cocoon2)?  <xsl:sort> for a
"number" type or a "text" type?

Seems I remember reading that "string" compares take longer than numeric
ones as a rule.  I have the option of sorting nodes based on either an
"employeeid" (integer) or "lastname" (text).

While the project is new, I know the employeeids will not be more than 5
digits.  However, later they will.

On the other hand, the lastnames could easily exceed 5 characters in length
or could overlap for two people at a location (i.e. Bob SMITH and Mike
SMITH).  I will select the nodes by ID to ensure uniqueness, but when I uses
my <xsl:sort> command, I'd like it to use the "optimum" sort type.

TIA!   - Mark

Re: Xalan and xsl:sort speed by type

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@dti.net>.
Not answering your question, but just FYI ...

If this is data that's being retreived from a database, then my thinking would be to avoid xsl:sort completely if possible.  I'd rather do sorting in the database using a SQL statement (SELECT ... ORDER BY ...) since it's probably better optimized for this.

Of course, if this isn't database data then please ignore me.  :-)

DR