Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/11/13 15:07:57 UTC

[Commons Wiki] Update of "MavenGroupIDChange" by James Carman

Dear Wiki user,

The "MavenGroupIDChange" page has been changed by James Carman.
The comment on this change is: Added a comment to the package name change section..
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MavenGroupIDChange?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

  = Changing Maven Group Id =
-
  '''DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT'''

+ Several Commons components are using Maven Group Ids other than ''org.apache.commons''.  This makes more work for Nexus and Maven Central maintenance.
- Several Commons components are using Maven Group Ids other than ''org.apache.commons''.
- This makes more work for Nexus and Maven Central maintenance.

  This page is intended to collect together information on the issues to consider when changing a Maven Group Id.

+ Examples that follow assume that the Commons component Foo currently uses groupId=commons-foo and artifactId=commons-foo, i.e. commons-foo:commons-foo for short. The classes are currently in the org.apache.commons.foo Java package hierarchy.
- Examples that follow assume that the Commons component Foo currently uses groupId=commons-foo and artifactId=commons-foo,
- i.e. commons-foo:commons-foo for short. The classes are currently in the org.apache.commons.foo Java package hierarchy.

+ Assume also that there is a Bar application which depends on two libraries, lib1 and lib2. lib1 depends on commons-foo:commons-foo:1 and lib2 depends on commons-foo:commons-foo:2.
- Assume also that there is a Bar application which depends on two libraries, lib1 and lib2.
- lib1 depends on commons-foo:commons-foo:1 and lib2 depends on commons-foo:commons-foo:2.

  == Classpath considerations ==
+ The Java classpath can contain multiple versions of the same classname (in different jars or directories). However, at most one version of a given class can be loaded into a single class-loader.

+ So if a class is updated such that its API is no longer backwards-compatible, it's not possible to use both in the same classpath. The only solution is to change the class name, e.g. by changing its package name - or one could change just the classname. [In both of these cases the code could be made compatible again by keeping the original code alongside the new. However, at some point the old code will probably need to be deleted, at which time the versions will be incompatible anyway.]
- The Java classpath can contain multiple versions of the same classname (in different jars or directories).
- However, at most one version of a given class can be loaded into a single class-loader.

+ If there are multiple versions of the same class on the classpath, there's no guarantee which version will be loaded,  so in general the classpath should only ever contain a single version of each class.
- So if a class is updated such that its API is no longer backwards-compatible, it's not possible to use both in the same classpath.
- The only solution is to change the class name, e.g. by changing its package name - or one could change just the classname.
- [In both of these cases the code could be made compatible again by keeping the original code alongside the new. However, at some point the old code will probably need to be deleted, at which time the versions will be incompatible anyway.]
-
- If there are multiple versions of the same class on the classpath, there's no guarantee which version will be loaded,
- so in general the classpath should only ever contain a single version of each class.

  == Maven dependency resolution ==
+ Maven assumes that artifacts with the same GroupId and ArtifactId represent the same item,  and ensures that only one instance of each such artifact is added to the classpath.
-
- Maven assumes that artifacts with the same GroupId and ArtifactId represent the same item,
- and ensures that only one instance of each such artifact is added to the classpath.

  In the above example, only commons-foo:commons-foo:2 would be added to the classpath.

+ If the groupId is changed, then org.apache.commons:commons-foo will be treated as a different artifact,  and the Maven classpath could potentially contain two copies of the same component.
- If the groupId is changed, then org.apache.commons:commons-foo will be treated as a different artifact,
- and the Maven classpath could potentially contain two copies of the same component.

- This can cause a problem, for which there are several possible solutions - none of which are ideal:
+ This can cause a problem, for which there are several possible solutions - none of which are ideal: * use relocation POMs * change the Foo package name
- * use relocation POMs
- * change the Foo package name

  === Relocation POMS ===
+ A relocation POM can be set up to redirect references from commons-foo:commons-foo to org.apache.commons:commons-foo. Both would be seen as being the same item, avoiding duplicates on the classpath.
-
- A relocation POM can be set up to redirect references from commons-foo:commons-foo to org.apache.commons:commons-foo.
- Both would be seen as being the same item, avoiding duplicates on the classpath.

  This sounds ideal, but the relocation POMs may not always be processed??

  TBA details of relocation poms

  === Change of package name ===
+ If the change from commons-foo:commons-foo to org.apache.commons:commons-foo is accompanied by a change to the Java package name, e.g. to org.apache.commons.foo3, then there will be no classpath issue, as both Maven and Java treat the artifacts as different.

+ However, the change of Java package name is neither binary nor source-compatible, and can require a lot of work for users of Commons Foo. This may be acceptable if the new version has major changes to the API, but not otherwise - why should users (who may not even use Maven) be forced to change their code just to upgrade to the latest version (James Carman: the user will thank us when they try to use a library that requires the older version, we shouldn't discount this too mcuh.  This approach solves the "jar hell" issue)?

Re: [Commons Wiki] Update of "MavenGroupIDChange" by James Carman

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 November 2010 14:12, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I don't know why this showed up with so many diffs.  All I did was
> fire up the GUI version of the editor and add the comment in
> parentheses.  Sorry for the noise.

Must be a bug in the GUI editor.

It looks like it has joined all the lines together.

Fwd: [Commons Wiki] Update of "MavenGroupIDChange" by James Carman

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.