Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2016/09/14 09:27:48 UTC

JSR-363 (Unit of Measurement API) has been approved

Hello all

JSR-363 (Unit of Measurement API) [1] has been approved by the Java
Community Process [2] and is now an official Java standard. The API that
Apache SIS currently use is JSR-275, now superseded by JSR-363. Given
that JSR-275 usage is strongly deprecated, I think that we should
replace the JSR-275 dependency by JSR-363 as soon as we can (but we need
to make this replacement in GeoAPI first before we can apply it to
Apache SIS).

One issue is that the JSR-363 JAR file deployed on Maven Central [3] has
been compiled for Java 7. Unless we deploy our own JSR-363 JAR file
(which I would not recommend), migrating from JSR-275 to JSR-363 implies
the lost of Java 6 support. Do we still have a need for Java 6
compatibility?

    Martin

[1] https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=363
[2] https://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=5877