Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2002/04/02 21:08:05 UTC

Where the heck are project descriptors stored?

on 4/2/02 10:45 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:

> As I posted on the turbine list, you cannot edit these by hand. You have
> to update the project descriptor or these changes will be lost the next
> time I generate them.

Ok, I'm confused about things:

    #1. There are project descriptors stored in Gump.
    #2. There are project descriptors stored in Maven.
    #3. There are project descriptors stored in each project that are read
        by Gump.

WHICH ONE IS ACTUALLY USED?

Jason, it is great that you are doing all this work, but it is terribly
confusing to keep track of everything that you are doing because you do
things in small steps which eventually lead in a totally different direction
than things were previously going.

-jon

Re: Where the heck are project descriptors stored?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-04-02 at 14:08, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 4/2/02 10:45 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
>
> > As I posted on the turbine list, you cannot edit these by hand. You have
> > to update the project descriptor or these changes will be lost the next
> > time I generate them.
> >

> Ok, I'm confused about things:
>
>     #1. There are project descriptors stored in Gump.

I will remove those. Sorry.

>     #2. There are project descriptors stored in Maven.

These are the templates and you don't have to worry about theses ones.

>     #3. There are project descriptors stored in each project that are read
>         by Gump.

Yes, these are the only ones used. But generated from the project.xml
file.

> WHICH ONE IS ACTUALLY USED?

The ultimate authority is the gump.xml profile. I didn't remove the
one's from the alexandria repository but actually they aren't even
referenced so your changes wouldn't have had any effect. Most of our
turbine descriptors are taken from CVS directory. I forgot to remove the
ones from the alexandria repository. My bad.

> Jason, it is great that you are doing all this work, but it is terribly
> confusing to keep track of everything that you are doing because you do
> things in small steps which eventually lead in a totally different direction
> than things were previously going.

My plan was to always use the project.xml file and generate the gump
stuff. I tried didn't methods but I didn't deviate from the goal. It now
works :-)

Just edit the maven project.xml file and the rest will take care of
itself. Once I can get maven to bootstrap in gump, gump itself can do
the tranformation and it will be easier. It will be a while for this to
happen but it will.

Sorry for the confusion. The maven descriptor is the touch stone for the
turbine projects. I will take care of the rest.

> -jon

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org