Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com> on 2017/09/01 03:33:25 UTC

[VOTE] Merge yarn-native-services branch into trunk

Hi All,

I would like to call a vote for merging yarn-native-services to trunk. The vote will run for 7 days as usual.

At a high level, the following are the key feautres implemented.
- YARN-5079[1]. A native YARN framework (ApplicationMaster) to migrate and orchestrate existing services to YARN either docker or non-docker based.
- YARN-4793[2]. A Rest API server for user to deploy a service via a simple JSON spec
- YARN-4757[3]. Extending today's service registry with a simple DNS service to enable users to discover services deployed on YARN
- YARN-6419[4]. UI support for native-services on the new YARN UI
All these new services are optional and are sitting outside of the existing system, and have no impact on existing system if disabled.

Special thanks to a team of folks who worked hard towards this: Billie Rinaldi, Gour Saha, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli, Jonathan Maron, Rohith Sharma K S, Sunil G, Akhil PB. This effort could not be possible without their ideas and hard work.

Thanks,
Jian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-5079
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-4793
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-4757
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-6419

Re: [VOTE] Merge yarn-native-services branch into trunk

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Allen. You are right, the github renderer does have trouble
rendering the headers. I was only looking at the html generated by mvn
site, which did not have trouble rendering them. Anyway I added a space
after all the hashes and it looks ok through github now.

-Gour

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for your consideration Jian, let's track this for GA then.

Best,
Andrew

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Allen,

Thanks for sharing the feedback. I opened YARN-7191 for addressing the feedback.
We can move the discussions there.

Thanks,
Jian

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Allen,

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Allen,

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Allen,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Allen,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Allen,

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
> 1) Did I miss it or is there no actual end-user documentation on how to use this?

Yes, we are in the process of finishing up the the doc and posting it. We considered this a release blocker for 3.0.0-beta1 and so working on it in parallel while the branch merge happens.

> 	2) Lots of markdown problems in the NativeServicesDiscovery.md document.  This includes things like ‘yarnsite.xml’ (missing a dash.)  Also, I’m also confused why it’s called that when the title is YARN DNS, but whatever.

Thanks for pointing out. We will fix this.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
> On Aug 31, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I would like to call a vote for merging yarn-native-services to trunk.

	1) Did I miss it or is there no actual end-user documentation on how to use this?  I see hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/src/site/markdown/native-services/NativeServicesIntro.md, but that’s not particularly useful.  It looks like there are daemons that need to get started, based on other documentation?  How?  What do I configure? Is there a command to use to say “go do native for this job”?  I honestly have no idea how to make this do anything because most of the docs appear to be either TBD or expect me to read through a ton of JIRAs.

	2) Lots of markdown problems in the NativeServicesDiscovery.md document.  This includes things like ‘yarnsite.xml’ (missing a dash.)  Also, I’m also confused why it’s called that when the title is YARN DNS, but whatever.

	3) The default port for the DNS server should NOT be 53 if typical deployments need to specify an alternate port.  Based on the documentation, this doesn’t appear to be a fully function DNS server as an admin would expect (e.g., BIND, Knot, whatever).  Where’s forwarding? How do I setup notify? Are secondaries even supported? etc, etc. In fact:  was this even tested on port 53? How does this get launched such that it even has access to open port 53?  I don’t see any calls to use the secure daemon code in the shell scripts. Is there any jsvc voodoo or is it just “run X as root”?

	4) Post-merge, yarn usage information is broken.  This is especially bad since it doesn’t appear that YarnCommands was ever updated to include the new sub-commands.

	At this point in time:

		-1 on 3.0.0-beta1
		-0 on trunk

Re: [VOTE] Merge yarn-native-services branch into trunk

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding).

Cheers
-Arun