Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Lukas Latz <lu...@gmx.de> on 2004/03/11 16:22:44 UTC

WAS: problems with - Help Please - ActionServlet fails on startup

To find out what's going on, I created an even simpler project:
All the struts 1.1 jars, tlds and dtds
A simple index.jsp with NO struts related tags or taglib directives.
An ActionServlet set to load on startup.

The same failure as reported under "problems with <html:base/>" happens,
that shows the failure is not related to the jsp file that contained the
ActionServlet.

I realized I hadn't run a struts 1.1 in this tomcat instance before, only
the struts 1.0 "logon" application from the manning/husted struts book.

Is there a problem with using Tomcat 3.23 and Struts 1.1 ?
Otherwise, the only possible explanation could be missing items in the
web.xml or struts-config.xml
This is what the app currently look like:

/index.jsp
/META-INF/
/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
/WEB-INF/
/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld
/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld
/WEB-INF/struts-logic.tld
/WEB-INF/struts-nested.tld
/WEB-INF/struts-template.tld
/WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld
/WEB-INF/struts-config_1_0.dtd
/WEB-INF/struts-config_1_1.dtd
/WEB-INF/tiles-config.dtd
/WEB-INF/tiles-config_1_1.dtd
/WEB-INF/validation_1_1.dtd
/WEB-INF/validator-rules_1_1.dtd
/WEB-INF/web-app_2_2.dtd
/WEB-INF/web-app_2_3.dtd
/WEB-INF/web.xml
/WEB-INF/struts-config.xml
/WEB-INF/classes/
/WEB-INF/lib/
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-beanutils.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-collections.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-digester.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-fileupload.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-lang.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-logging.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/commons-validator.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/jakarta-oro.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/struts-legacy.jar
/WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar

********** web.xml **********************************************

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.2//EN" "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd">
<web-app>

  <!-- Standard Action Servlet Configuration (with debugging) -->
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>config</param-name>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>/do/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

  <!-- The Usual Welcome File List -->
  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>

  <!-- Struts Tag Library Descriptors -->
  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>/tags/struts-html</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld</taglib-location>
  </taglib>

</web-app>

****** struts-config.xml *****************************************

<!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
          "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.1//EN"
          "http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_1.dtd">

<struts-config>
    <form-beans>
    </form-beans>

    <global-forwards>
    </global-forwards>

    <action-mappings>
    </action-mappings>
</struts-config>

There must be a really simple reason for the failure, as there's really no
application code my test app.
any pointers much appreciated.

Lukas

Re: WAS: problems with - Help Please - ActionServlet fails on startup

Posted by Lukas Latz <lu...@gmx.de>.
I just found the struts-blank.war in the Struts 1.1 binary distribution and
deployed it to my Tomcat 2.32 .
I fails in the same way!

Re: WAS: problems with - Help Please - ActionServlet fails on startup

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Lukas Latz <lu...@gmx.de>:

> Is there a problem with using Tomcat 3.23 and Struts 1.1 ?

Yes, there is.  Tomcat 3.2.x has many bugs with the way that class loading is
handled that make it totally unsuitable for Struts 1.1 applications.  You
should upgrade to a more current Tomcat release -- if you want realistic
support, then I'd recommend upgrading to the most recent Tomcat 5.0.x stable
release.

Craig McClanahan

Re: WAS: problems with - Help Please - ActionServlet fails on startup

Posted by Lukas Latz <lu...@gmx.de>.
> I see your confusion. I don't use TC, but remembered a while back there
> was a lot of conversation about certain versions people had trouble with.
> Perhaps it does work, but maybe you have to jump through hoops to get it
> to do so. The archives might have more background on the specific issues
> with TC 3.2.x. If you wanted, you could submit a bugzilla request for site
>
> documentation clarification.
>
> Good luck,
> Susan

I've now upgraded to TC 3.3.2 and everything worked right away. I see your
point about how 3.2.x might be considered workable with twists.

Thanks

Posted by Susan Bradeen <Su...@softlanding.com>.
"Lukas Latz" <lu...@gmx.de> wrote on 03/11/2004 11:12:26 AM:

> > Lukas,
> >
> > I am not familiar with your previous posts, but will this archive post

> > help?
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=106326387004081&w=2
> >
> > Susan Bradeen
>
> Susan,
>
> this post somewhat contradicts the info on the Struts website, where
they
> state:
>
> "Apache's Tomcat (version 3.1 or later required, version 3.3 or later
> recommended). "
>
> I'm not fundamentally opposed to upgrading to Tomcat 3.3, but I feel
that if
> Tomcat < 3.3 does not work with Struts 1.1 at all, it should be
mentioned on
> the Struts website.

I see your confusion. I don't use TC, but remembered a while back there
was a lot of conversation about certain versions people had trouble with.
Perhaps it does work, but maybe you have to jump through hoops to get it
to do so. The archives might have more background on the specific issues
with TC 3.2.x. If you wanted, you could submit a bugzilla request for site
documentation clarification.

Good luck,
Susan

> I also saw the jaxp 1.1 vs 1.0 issue on the struts website, but as the
Java

Posted by Lukas Latz <lu...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Susan Bradeen <Su...@softlanding.com>.
Lukas,

I am not familiar with your previous posts, but will this archive post
help?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=106326387004081&w=2

Susan Bradeen

"Lukas Latz" <lu...@gmx.de> wrote on 03/11/2004 10:22:44 AM:

<snip>

> Is there a problem with using Tomcat 3.23 and Struts 1.1 ?
> Otherwise, the only possible explanation could be missing items in the
> web.xml or struts-config.xml
> This is what the app currently look like:

</snip>