Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by NigelTufnel <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/11 12:05:43 UTC

Jmeter configuration for longer tests

I have noticed that if I put the heap in jmeter.bat (running on windows at
the moment) like this

set HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx512m

and I monitor the java process with perfmon I notice that I have this 500mb
of private bytes and the memory keeps climbing up until that level is
reached.

What if I want to make a test of few hours, is there a guideline how to
configure the jmeter's java options.

Can you configure JMeter so that it'd free it's memory occasionally? If you
have any good or bad :) suggestions how to configure Jmeter for maximum
performance (endurance-wise) I'd be happy to hear about it.

Cheers and thanks in advance! :)

Re: Jmeter configuration for longer tests

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/2008, NigelTufnel <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have noticed that if I put the heap in jmeter.bat (running on windows at
>  the moment) like this
>
>  set HEAP=-Xms512m -Xmx512m
>
>  and I monitor the java process with perfmon I notice that I have this 500mb
>  of private bytes and the memory keeps climbing up until that level is
>  reached.

That just indicates how much memory Java has got, it does not
necessarily mean it is all being used.

>  What if I want to make a test of few hours, is there a guideline how to
>  configure the jmeter's java options.

Not possible in general. Search the archives for some specific
examples, but it depends so much on what the test contains.

>  Can you configure JMeter so that it'd free it's memory occasionally? If you
>  have any good or bad :) suggestions how to configure Jmeter for maximum
>  performance (endurance-wise) I'd be happy to hear about it.

JMeter calls the garbage collector before starting a test.
And the JVM of course will continue to garbage collect as a test runs.
There are options for tuning the JVM gc, but that varies between JVMs
- check the JVM documentation.

I don't know whether Java ever returns memory to the OS once it has
been given it.

Have a look at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean

and other sections in that page.