Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/10 18:14:28 UTC

Bad links on plugin index page

Any idea what happened to the plugin index page?  It was published
today (Aug 10) and all the links are to anchors on the index page
rather than to the plugin site.  For example:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html#maven-compiler-plugin/
instead of http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/

--
Wendy

Re: Bad links on plugin index page

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Brett Porter wrote:
>> Using the latest of everything doesn't correct the problem - seems
>> like there's still a bug.
>
> OK, we need to track this down ASAP.

I have committed a (temporary) fix for this problem. To get a better
solution I have started a thread about this on doxia-dev@maven.a.o
called "Solving links and anchors". Please head over there if you have
opinions about this.

>> I also had to skip the tests in the doxia-sitetools to get it to build.
>
> What error did you get? Tests run fine for me on Windows.
>
>> I reverted to 2.0-beta-5, which works but skips the two pages
>> (index.xml.vm and download.apt.vm). All should be ok once synced.
>
> Thanks Brett.
>
>> - Brett
>>
>> On 11/08/2007, at 10:28 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>>> My fault, I published it, assuming whatever would be in the repo
>>> would be correct.
>>>
>>> I'll try building the latest of everything and do it again.
>>>
>>> - Brett

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Plexus container 1/2 artifact problems [was: Bad links on plugin index page]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> On 16/08/2007, at 8:42 AM, Kenney Westerhof wrote:
>

>>> Or is there something that we can do in doxia to fix it? Should we
>>> update to a version of plexus-velocity that uses the latest
>>> plexus-container-default?
>>
>> That would work; or add a depMgt section specifying p-c-d and p-c-a as
>> scope provided
>> in the doxia poms. Possibly just an exclude on the plexus-velocity dep
>> for p-c-d/p-c-a,
>> but we need to come up with a more general solution.
>
> Yeah, I think addressing this in doxia with exclusions is the right way
> to go. I might also look at special casing this in surefire if it's
> appropriate.

I tried adding exclusions in the plexus-velocity dependency, but p-c-a
is being dragged in from other places as well. I haven't spent much time
analyzing dependency graphs in Maven, so I'm going to leave this as it
is for now. The problem only occurs when I use surefire-2.3.1-SNAPSHOT.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Thanks for looking into this Kenney.
>
> Are you saying that that the problem is really in maven itself, and
> version 2.0.7 in particular as it uses the shading thingy?

Yes, the problem is in maven itself. It uses a shaded embedder but that's okay.
2.0.7 uses plexus-container-default 1.0-alpha-9-stable-1, which is very old and predates
the split of plexus-container-default to p-c-d and p-c-a, so maven 2.0.7 doesn't
know anything about plexus-container-api.

The shaded version of p-c-d has the same problem: it doesn't list p-c-a,
so if a dependency uses an older version of p-c-d or p-c-a (after the split,
before the shading plugin existed), the p-c-a doesn't get filtered out,
or even aligned to the version of p-c-d.

> Or is there something that we can do in doxia to fix it? Should we
> update to a version of plexus-velocity that uses the latest
> plexus-container-default?

That would work; or add a depMgt section specifying p-c-d and p-c-a as scope provided
in the doxia poms. Possibly just an exclude on the plexus-velocity dep for p-c-d/p-c-a,
but we need to come up with a more general solution. First having one archive,
then 2, then one again, that's asking for problems ;)

-- Kenney

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I had these problems with the dependency plugin too. They kept coming in through other dependencies that didn't have the exclusions. To stop/detect that, I made an enforcer execution for detecting when the new containers have crept in and warn me.

________________________________

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 12 Aug 07, at 5:11 AM 12 Aug 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 12/08/2007, at 5:07 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> Brett Porter wrote:
>>> Using the latest of everything doesn't correct the problem -
>>> seems like there's still a bug.
>>
>> OK, we need to track this down ASAP.
>
> Cool, thanks for taking care of it.
>

>>> I also had to skip the tests in the doxia-sitetools to get it to
>>> build.
>>
>> What error did you get? Tests run fine for me on Windows.
>
> Looks like a bad plexus snapshot on my end, since it's fine on the
> zone too.
>
> testRender
> (org.apache.maven.doxia.siterenderer.DefaultSiteRendererTest)  Time
> elapsed: 0.275 sec  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.codehaus.plexus.component.repository.ComponentDescriptor.setSource
> (Ljava/lang/String;)V
>         at
> org.codehaus.plexus.component.discovery.DefaultComponentDiscoverer.cre
> ateComponentDescriptors(DefaultComponentDiscoverer.java:68)
>
> I'll poke around some more.

Vincent already brought this up on the list a week or so ago. It's a
problem with surefire not pulling in the right version of plexus. It
should be using the version of plexus specific by the POM, not the
one Maven is running with. So simply forking the tests may do the
trick. But the isolated classloader no longer appears to do what it
was intended to do.

> Cheers,
> Brett

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Bad links on plugin index page

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Using the latest of everything doesn't correct the problem - seems like
> there's still a bug.

OK, we need to track this down ASAP.

> I also had to skip the tests in the doxia-sitetools
> to get it to build.

What error did you get? Tests run fine for me on Windows.

> I reverted to 2.0-beta-5, which works but skips the two pages
> (index.xml.vm and download.apt.vm). All should be ok once synced.

Thanks Brett.

> - Brett
>
> On 11/08/2007, at 10:28 AM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> My fault, I published it, assuming whatever would be in the repo would
>> be correct.
>>
>> I'll try building the latest of everything and do it again.
>>
>> - Brett

>>> It's due to someone using the wrong doxia SNAPSHOTs when publishing
>>> the site. I don't know if the ones in the snapshot repo are wrong or
>>> if someone built them themselves, but we should get new snapshots
>>> deployed anyway.
>>>
>>> It is unfortunate that our site build relies on a SNAPSHOT version of
>>> maven-site-plugin, which in turn relies on SNAPSHOT versions of
>>> doxia. But we're at least eating our own dog food :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Bad links on plugin index page

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Using the latest of everything doesn't correct the problem - seems
like there's still a bug. I also had to skip the tests in the doxia-
sitetools to get it to build.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.