Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Schachter, Michael" <MS...@Bluestone.com> on 2000/12/14 00:26:15 UTC

DTD Validation

Hi,

I have a question about using a DTD to validate struts-config.xml

Using a DTD for config file validation kind of breaks the added
functionality of using custom attributes for action mappings (see example).
Is this intentional?

Example (snippet from struts-config.xml)

<action-mappings>
	<action path="/something"
		type="something.SomeAction"
		myAttribute="somethingAlso"/>

</action-mappings>

This throws a parser error due to the presence of a DTD.  I apologize if
this was already discussed, if it was please kindly let me know.

Re: DTD Validation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Schachter, Michael" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about using a DTD to validate struts-config.xml
>
> Using a DTD for config file validation kind of breaks the added
> functionality of using custom attributes for action mappings (see example).
> Is this intentional?
>
> Example (snippet from struts-config.xml)
>
> <action-mappings>
>         <action path="/something"
>                 type="something.SomeAction"
>                 myAttribute="somethingAlso"/>
>
> </action-mappings>
>
> This throws a parser error due to the presence of a DTD.  I apologize if
> this was already discussed, if it was please kindly let me know.

I'm not sure it has been.

The replacement mechanism is to use a nested <set-property> element:

    <action path="/something" type="something.SomeAction">
        <set-property property="myAttribute" value="somethingAlso"/>
    </action>

All of the configuration elements that can usefully be subclassed support a
nested <set-property> element:  <data-source>, <forward>, and <action>.

Craig