Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/06 10:19:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Plugin Releases

Does anyone have any reasons to delay Cordova Plugins releases?
If not, I will start the releases tomorrow.

Cordova Paramedic is soon [1] in a state where we can start rolling
out its CI configuration to our plugin repositories. This will enable
us to evaluate the state of a plugin repository again, which will also
enable us to do plugin releases.

I already trialed that for
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen, you can follow
the process at https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen/issues/199.

The plan for the plugins would be as follows:

1. Create patch or minor releases of the current state of master
    - Update CI config
    - If master includes breaking changes, skip that plugin for now
    - If master is currently broken, fix it to get to a releasable state
2. Create major releases for the plugins skipped in 1 with current
state of master
    - If master is currently broken, fix it to get to a releasable state

While 1 and 2 are happening, the plugin release documentation [2] gets
updated to a usable state. I already started that process in [3]

3. After all plugins have their current master released, we can start
rebasing and merging existing Pull Requests. This will probably lead
to additional minor or major releases down the road.

This is a pretty major undertaking, so all help is appreciated.
I will post current problems and PRs in the #dev channel in Slack.
A more general help of course is to look at issues and pull requests
in the plugin repositories (Pick one plugin you like, go through all
of them to see if they make sense and try to get them to a point where
they do - I did the same for
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen for example).

Best,
Jan

[1] https://github.com/apache/cordova-paramedic/pull/131
[2] https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/plugins-release-process.md
[3] https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/pull/233

Re: [DISCUSS] Plugin Releases

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
After we got the Cordova Paramedic Travis CI configuration in a state
that enabled simple copy/paste to plugin repositories, I applied that
to the Splashscreen plugin as announced. With a green build, I started
the release process just for this plugin.

Along the way, I had to update the plugin release process documentation a lot:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/pull/233
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/pull/233/files?short_path=204db0c#diff-204db0c8ef1a508dc7694641e31ff36d
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/4cea733a9f873ff1b4fd39353925463fcb5a5eb6/docs/plugins-release-process.md
(current state)
(Interesting bits: The old docs forgot to update version in
tests/package.json, which probably means those are outdated in all or
most plugins)

But everything seems to have gone well, you should already have gotten
the vote message:

https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen/commits/master
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen/releases/tag/5.0.3
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cordova/splash20190509/
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen/tree/5.0.x
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen/commits/5.0.x

I am not fully happy with the "merge master into release branch", the
single merge commit just doesn't contain any relevant information -
but that is how it was documented.

Another thing that might need some iteration is the "Release
Identifier"  concept that I introduced as an alternative to the old
"JIRA ID as release identifier" thing. For this release I used
`splash20190509` which you can see on dist-dev and in several commit
messages. It works, but is a bit "hidden" - the JIRA ID had a more
obvious structure.
We could use GitHub issue IDs, which would be equal to how PRs use it
in the squash commit message, but this only works for single-repo
releases because issue IDs are only unique per repository, not
globally. (Using IDs from another repo would also be confusing.) And
especially with plugins I hope we can soon do releases of many plugins
at the same time again, so this is not a solution.
Ideas?

Best,
Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] Plugin Releases