Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Yan Hu <ya...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/02 03:43:27 UTC

Re: Struts vs .NET??? ->This is my Stats

All done on the US sites.
www.monster.com
.NET more than 1000 and 20 pages
Java more than 1000 and 20 pages

www.dice.com
.NET 8490 listings
Java 11159 listings

www.indeed.com (an aggregator for all major job sites in the US)
.NET 68,599 listings
Java 63,451 listings

When you have a debate, try not to win the debate by by putting words in others mouths and not to
exaggerate things (such as 1000 times). Considering .NET has not been around as long as java/j2ee,
don't you think the numbers are scary?

Re: Struts vs .NET??? ->This is my Stats

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <st...@anotheria.net>.
> When you have a debate, try not to win the debate by by
> putting words in others mouths and not to exaggerate things
> (such as 1000 times). Considering .NET has not been around as
> long as java/j2ee, don't you think the numbers are scary?

No I don't, and know why? Here is a quote from a typical job offer which
comes out at monster (this one was from uk)
when you search for .NET:

As a VB Developer, this is an opportunity for you to team up and work
alongside some of the top developers around and therefore to be considered
for this role, you will need to have at least 2 years solid Visual Basic
experience and a good understanding of the development of ActiveX
components, COM and .Net. Those who have and experience of the financial
market or have Real time software development then that will be beneficial
with your application.

Salary 45K pounds in london... That's like 20K euro in germany or 30K USD in
US. Sorry, this is not my kind of job :-)

> You see you are missing the whole point here.....  I have been a long time
believer that J2EE is good for big honking things.  But
> .NET is eating up the small business sectors. I am talking about small to
medium sized apps here.  large sites also use .NET such as
> www.dell.com and I believe there are a lot more out there.... I am too
lazy to google it right now.. I believe you could find them
> yourself...

I think the larger problem for a java developer in a small business sector
is PHP or even Perl. .NET is mostly irrelevant, at least in germany.

But know what, it was dumb from me, to get on this discussion. I admit my
defeat, you won, all praise .NET.

:-)
Leon