Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Vikrama Sanjeeva <vi...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/14 16:38:22 UTC

need expert advise on using Hadoop

Hi,

I'm here to take a expert advise on using Hadoop or not for my
situation/case.

Brief intro: I'm a masters by research student doing research in BigData
area which I wish to explore more by continuing into PhD.

We've a side project in its inception phase (not related to research) for
developing mobile app using Ionic framework. One of the non-functional
requirement of the project is to collect various analytics, for example,
how many times apps downloaded, visited, which feature is used more, which
user uses what etc etc. As a part of proposed solution, we've proposed to
use Google Analytics to capture the required analytics and MangoDB for
storing user's data.

I believe these statistics can be easily captured by GA. However, recently,
I was thinking to use Hadoop and its related technologies (Hive, Impala,
Sqoop etc) for doing analytics work. Why ? Because this way, I will get a
chance to work on Hadoop echosystem which will be a good compliment with my
Master's research which is in BigData.

What I know that Hadoop is mainly used where we have really BigData (in TBs
or more) in a variety of format (unstructured, semi-structured) and where
value out of data is needed by performing analytics.

My question is, we will not have much data in mobile app, but we do have
data analytics work in mobile app. So does it make sense (reasonable?) to
export data from MangoDB into HDFS and use Hive or Impala for doing
analytics ?

Please give feedback. Your expert advise is highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Viki.

Re: need expert advise on using Hadoop

Posted by Vikrama Sanjeeva <vi...@gmail.com>.
selam,

Thanks, I've checked snowplow but it's coming with a cost. Whereas, I'm
looking completely free software.

I've checked Zeppein and it really looks cool. Very good UI and visualized
data analytics. Still a lot to explore, specifically the technologies
which Ashutosh
mentioned. Just had a quick google on Spark as well, and it looks like
Spark is a good choice as well.

Thanks again

I wish to have more views from other members, specifically for my case,
mentioned in first post. Many thanks in advance to all.

Viki

Posted by Vikrama Sanjeeva <vi...@gmail.com>.
selam,

Posted by Vikrama Sanjeeva <vi...@gmail.com>.