Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org> on 2017/04/01 20:09:22 UTC

Anyone volunteers for online-tester legal cleanup and other refactorings?

We have just received the source code of
http://freemarker-online.kenshoo.com/ from Kenshoo, as a contribution
to the FreeMarker project. Here's the Git repo:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-freemarker-online-tester.git
https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker-online-tester

Anyone wants to take care of some (or all) of these tasks:

The first thing to do is the legal cleanup:
- Change license headers (such as it can't contain "Copyright 2014 Kenshoo.com")
- Change the package from com.kenshoo.freemarker to
  org.apache.freemarker.onlinetester (or something like that)
- Update LICENSE (and NOTICES if needed) with any extra intellectual
  property related information needed.

After that:
- Get rid of the old Fallwizard dependency, as that version isn't
  available in well known repos. Certainly we should just use pure
  Dropwizard (or any other light weight "micro service" framework you
  feel like using).

And finally we should continue pushing
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13246 "Create a demo VM
for the Freemarker project".

 Daniel Dekany

Re: SpringBoot, DataModelParser and Travis CI

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.
Sunday, April 9, 2017, 9:44:27 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

[snip]
> By the way, do we have a support for multi-line configuration for xml?
> For example, we could use """ or <<EOF like python or perl? That might
> be helpful for XML.
>
> Just my two cents,

We support multi-line strings and multi-line XML. Simply, lines that
doesn't look like assignments are the continuation of the last line.
Like this is allowed:

s=a
x=
<doc a='1'>
</doc>

However, I have just noticed that I fail to mention that under the
"Data model (show examples)" link. Ops... will have to be fixed.

Anyway, it's not an entirely general purpose syntax, as what if your
multi line text has a line that looks like an assignment... so there's
still place for """ or such.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sunday, April 9, 2017, 10:38:37 AM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>    Moving this to a separate thread.
>>

>> So as the packages are renamed I will start with
>>

>> 1. Removing the Fallwizard . (try out SpringBoot)
>
> Yip (that, or for example Dropwizard).
>
>> 2. Optimising the DataModel
>
> Sure, after we have nothing in the way of deploying the app, except
> that we don't have a yet VM... but then we have more to press the
> issue at Infra.
>
> Though we will have to figure out how to continue there. One request
> we have received from users is that we should support putting
> date/time values into lists/maps, just as we support that for top
> level variables. I don't think we can solve that elegantly if we stick
> to JSON. (And then naturally, we should support having XML list items,
> etc. Anything that's allowed on top-level.)

Agreed. Now I see it's better to have our own parser instead of
sticking with JSON. The current format seems better especially with
date/time and xml configuration.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pradeep Murugesan <pr...@outlook.com>.
Great..

  I will send a PR removing fallwizard dependency.

Will send another PR for java 8 after that.

Pradeep.

________________________________
Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.
Any idea when (and if) can you deal with replacing Fallwizard?

Sunday, April 9, 2017, 10:38:37 AM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi,
>

>    Moving this to a separate thread.
>

> So as the packages are renamed I will start with
>

> 1. Removing the Fallwizard . (try out SpringBoot)
>
> 2. Optimising the DataModel
>

> Also I have asked a CI question in the previous email which got
> lost. Posting the same in this email.
>

>   1.  Do we need to configure travis CI for the online tester ?
>

> Pradeep.
>

> ________________________________

 Daniel Dekany

SpringBoot, DataModelParser and Travis CI

Friday, April 7, 2017, 5:59:21 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Pradeep Murugesan
> <pr...@outlook.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After that:
>>
>> - Get rid of the old Fallwizard dependency, as that version isn't
>>   available in well known repos. Certainly we should just use pure
>>   Dropwizard (or any other light weight "micro service" framework you
>>
>>   feel like using).
>>
>> Do you think we can give a short at Spring boot to replace Fallwizard ?
>
> Spring boot sounds like a good idea to me.

Assuming it doesn't have significant memory overhead compared to
Dropwizard, it's fine.

> By the way, regarding the data model parsing, I'm just wondering if we
> can simplify the parsing code (DataModelParser.java) by accepting only
> a JSON string like the following example:
>
> {
>   someString: "Some value",
>   someNumber: 3.14,
>   someBoolean: true
>   someDatetime: "2014-02-28T18:50Z",
>   someList: ["JSON", "syntax", 1, 2, 3 ],
>   someMap: { "JSON syntax": true, "nestedList": [1, 2, 3] }
>   someXML: "<example x='1'>text</example>"
> }
>
> Jackson support ALLOW_UNQUOTED_FIELD_NAMES option and good type
> handling of values...

The question remains if what should we do with date/time values (which
JSON doesn't have), XML values, as there's no JSON syntax for them.

Also JSON is less convenient, as it doesn't support multi-line strings
and XML as we do, and that's especially handy for XML. You don't even
have to quote XML with the current syntax, which makes copy-pasting
snippets much easier. Copy-pasting is a design goal here.

BTW, right now we have the issue that you can't use date/time or XML
inside lists and maps, exactly because those use JSON syntax. So I'm
rather on the side of moving away from JSON. It's too simplistic by
design, and we have no power to extend it. And writing out own parsers
is easy, so, why not...

> Just my two cents,
>
> Woonsan
>
>> Also should we think about using Travis CI for continuous integration or you have any other ideas ?
>>
>> Pradeep.
>> ________________________________

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Anyone volunteers for online-tester legal cleanup and other refactorings?

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.
Friday, April 7, 2017, 5:59:21 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Pradeep Murugesan
> <pr...@outlook.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After that:
>>
>> - Get rid of the old Fallwizard dependency, as that version isn't
>>   available in well known repos. Certainly we should just use pure
>>   Dropwizard (or any other light weight "micro service" framework you
>>
>>   feel like using).
>>
>> Do you think we can give a short at Spring boot to replace Fallwizard ?
>
> Spring boot sounds like a good idea to me.

Assuming it doesn't have significant memory overhead compared to
Dropwizard, it's fine.

> By the way, regarding the data model parsing, I'm just wondering if we
> can simplify the parsing code (DataModelParser.java) by accepting only
> a JSON string like the following example:
>
> {
>   someString: "Some value",
>   someNumber: 3.14,
>   someBoolean: true
>   someDatetime: "2014-02-28T18:50Z",
>   someList: ["JSON", "syntax", 1, 2, 3 ],
>   someMap: { "JSON syntax": true, "nestedList": [1, 2, 3] }
>   someXML: "<example x='1'>text</example>"
> }
>
> Jackson support ALLOW_UNQUOTED_FIELD_NAMES option and good type
> handling of values...

The question remains if what should we do with date/time values (which
JSON doesn't have), XML values, as there's no JSON syntax for them.

Also JSON is less convenient, as it doesn't support multi-line strings
and XML as we do, and that's especially handy for XML. You don't even
have to quote XML with the current syntax, which makes copy-pasting
snippets much easier. Copy-pasting is a design goal here.

BTW, right now we have the issue that you can't use date/time or XML
inside lists and maps, exactly because those use JSON syntax. So I'm
rather on the side of moving away from JSON. It's too simplistic by
design, and we have no power to extend it. And writing out own parsers
is easy, so, why not...

> Just my two cents,
>
> Woonsan
>
>> Also should we think about using Travis CI for continuous integration or you have any other ideas ?
>>
>> Pradeep.
>> ________________________________

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Anyone volunteers for online-tester legal cleanup and other refactorings?

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.
Sunday, April 2, 2017, 9:36:52 AM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>

>      I will take this up.

Great, thanks!

>      A few questions though.
>

> - Change license headers (such as it can't contain "Copyright 2014 Kenshoo.com")
>

> /*
>         * Copyright 2014 Kenshoo.com
>         *
>         * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
>         * you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
>         * You may obtain a copy of the License at
>         *
>         * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>         *
>         * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>         * distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>         * WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
>         * See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>         * limitations under the License.
>         */
>
> should now be changed into
>

> /*
>         * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
>         * or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file
>         * distributed with this work for additional information
>         * regarding copyright ownership. The ASF licenses this file
>         * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
>         * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
>         * with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
>         *
>         * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>         *
>         * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
>         * software distributed under the License is distributed on an
>         * "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
>         * KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the
>         * specific language governing permissions and limitations
>         * under the License.
>         */

Yes. Note that non-java files need that too (with the appropriate
comment syntax).

> - Change the package from com.kenshoo.freemarker to
>
>   org.apache.freemarker.onlinetester (or something like that)
>

> The package name sounds good to me. Shall we finalize this ?

Let's assume that it's final. If somebody has a better idea and you
are already done, we can still easily rename it.

> - Update LICENSE (and NOTICES if needed) with any extra intellectual
>   property related information needed.

There are instruction for that here (among others):
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

Basically, all files that can't have the usual Apache copyright header
has to be mentioned in LICENSE (see in freemarker sources). Also if we
have files that have a different license, and we can't get rid of them
(and we should if we can), those have to be appear in LICENSE as well,
together with the actual license. Also, some licenses require a
third-party notice in derivated works, and that goes into NOTICE.

> What should be added here ? may be I will start with the above 2 and wait for this one.

Well, it will be reviewed by someone who is at home with legals
anyway.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Anyone volunteers for online-tester legal cleanup and other refactorings?