Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com> on 2008/07/16 14:56:48 UTC

mergeinfo property

I've played with "svn propget svn:mergeinfo" and with "svn mergeinfo".
I've
read
<http://www.collab.net/community/subversion/articles/merge-info.html>.
But there is still something I don't understand.

How do I know, for a given
path at a given revision, which source path
(if any) has been merged into it
? In this case, I don't want the full
history of all the paths that have
already been merged in that element
ancestry. Just a single source path (+
revision range) *IIF* the
requested revision actually is the result of a
merge. The equivalent of
the "(from /bidon/trunk:42)" that you get from "svn
log -v" in the case
of a copy.

Is there anything like it ?

TIA

Ph. A.

--
*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are
intended solely for the recipient (s) named above. This communication is
intended to be and to remain confidential and may be protected by intellectual
property rights. Any use of the information contained herein (including but
not limited to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution
of any form) by persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Ion Beam Applications does
not accept liability for any such errors. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: mergeinfo property

Posted by Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com>.
<pa...@iba-group.com> wrote:
>> I've played with "svn propget svn:mergeinfo" and
with "svn mergeinfo". I've
>> read
<http://www.collab.net/community/subversion/articles/merge-info.html>.
>> But
there is still something I don't understand.

>> How do I know, for a given
path at a given revision, which source path (if
>> any) has been merged into
it ? In this case, I don't want the full history
>> of all the paths that have
already been merged in that element ancestry.
>> Just a single source path (+
revision range) *IIF* the requested revision
>> actually is the result of a
merge. The equivalent of the "(from
>> /bidon/trunk:42)" that you get from
"svn log -v" in the case of a copy.

>> Is there anything like it ?
>
> svn
log -g will show you this.  With the exception that it is not a
> "filter".
It does not show you only revisions that were merges.  More
> like for any
revision that changed that file, if it was a merge, it
> will show you what
was merged in that revision.
Thanks a lot Mark. I think this will do.

The overall effect works a lot nicer in graphical clients than in the

command line output.
Well, that was actually my point. I've made a quick
survey of available
GUI tools to interface with SVN, with a special focus on
the revision
tree. Up until now, the nicest I've seen is TkCVS (nicest as in
"closest
to what ClearCase displays"). It's only drawback is that it doesn't
use
the new merge tracking support in SVN to draw its merge arrows. It
relies on a pair of matching tags to identify the source and target of
the
merge (a pattern inherited from CVS, I believe). I was looking into
improving
this, hence my question.

This being said, if you have a tool to recommend
(Linux-based and FOSS
preferably), I'd be grateful.

TIA

Cheers. Bye.

Ph.
A.

Re: mergeinfo property

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Philippe Andersson <pa...@iba-group.com> wrote:
> I've played with "svn propget svn:mergeinfo" and with "svn mergeinfo". I've
> read <http://www.collab.net/community/subversion/articles/merge-info.html>.
> But there is still something I don't understand.
>
> How do I know, for a given path at a given revision, which source path (if
> any) has been merged into it ? In this case, I don't want the full history
> of all the paths that have already been merged in that element ancestry.
> Just a single source path (+ revision range) *IIF* the requested revision
> actually is the result of a merge. The equivalent of the "(from
> /bidon/trunk:42)" that you get from "svn log -v" in the case of a copy.
>
> Is there anything like it ?

svn log -g will show you this.  With the exception that it is not a
"filter".  It does not show you only revisions that were merges.  More
like for any revision that changed that file, if it was a merge, it
will show you what was merged in that revision.

The overall effect works a lot nicer in graphical clients than in the
command line output.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard