Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Vijay Bhat <vi...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/19 19:58:01 UTC

Thoughts on first PR submission

Hi all,

I submitted my first PR yesterday - a fix for a simple issue (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRFLOW-385, reported by Dan Davydov
@aoen) to get the hang of the process. Dan, I'd appreciate it if you could
take a look - https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/pull/1842

Overall my experience was smooth compared to other Apache projects - the
dev and test frameworks are straightforward, and clearly documented. What
helped me the most was this doc in the github repo:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md. I
think it would be really helpful for other new contributors if we linked to
it from the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Contributors%27+Guide.

The Travis CI build gave me repeated trouble with spurious failures. I had
to resubmit the build 3 times before I could get it to succeed. I've heard
several people mention this to be an issue (including at the recent
roadmapping meeting), do we know why it's happening? It seems to happen
only on the apache repo of airflow, and not on my personal airflow fork.
Glad to dig in deeper, but wanted to check in what people know so far.

Thanks!
Vijay

Re: Thoughts on first PR submission

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vijay,

This is great feedback, I added a link to the CONTRIBUTING.md on the Wiki.
We can easily give you access to the wiki if you intend to improve it.

About Travis, I think it's been randomly failing for a little while and it
would be great if someone could get to the bottom of it. If it's always
coming from the same test(s) it would be nice to get to the bottom of it
and fix it, but reasonable to just remove it from the time being.

Thanks for the PR btw!

Max