Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Milorad Tosic <mb...@yahoo.com> on 2012/10/25 11:07:51 UTC

named owl:Restriction classes

Hi,

I may missed something fundamental about OWL, so would someone point me to what I'm missing. The question is as follows:

Restrictions are powerful and commonly used constructs in OWL. All the examples that I am aware of define unnamed class of type owl:Restriction and then do either owl:equivalentClass or rdfs:subClassOf. For example [1]:

q:HighPriorityItem owl:equivalentClass
   [a owl:Restriction;
    owl:onProperty q:hasPriority;
    owl:hasValue q:High].

Would it make any difference if we used named instead of unnamed class? As in the next corresponding example:

q:HighPriorityItem owl:equivalentClass q:hasPriorityHigh.
q:hasPriorityHigh a owl:Class;

    a owl:Restriction;
    owl:onProperty q:hasPriority;
    owl:hasValue q:High.

Thanks,
Milorad

[1] Dean Allemang, Jim Hendler "Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL", Second edition, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers

Re: named owl:Restriction classes

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@graphity.org>.
Hey Milorad,

not 100% sure but could this thread be relevant?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2012Jul/0082.html

Martynas
graphity.org