Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by giga328 <gi...@hotmail.com> on 2008/02/01 12:10:23 UTC

Safe "Phishing"

I have question about one list from MailScanner. It is list at
http://www.mailscanner.info/phishing.safe.sites.conf.master and here is part
of text from it:
This file contains the list of all the sites which can be safely ignored in
the "phishing fraud" checks.

My question can it be used by SpamAssassin and is there a point of using it
by some rule which can produce negative score?

I can presume that other list from MailScanner at
http://www.mailscanner.eu/phishing.bad.sites.conf.master is not suggested to
be used because URI RBLs are better.

I just started using SpamAssassin and I would like to see some opinion from
more expirienced users.

Regards,
Giga

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.

--On Friday, February 1, 2008 3:10 -0800 giga328 <gi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I have question about one list from MailScanner. It is list at
> http://www.mailscanner.info/phishing.safe.sites.conf.master and here is
> part of text from it:
> This file contains the list of all the sites which can be safely ignored
> in the "phishing fraud" checks.
>
> My question can it be used by SpamAssassin and is there a point of using
> it by some rule which can produce negative score?

And there's ad.doubleclick.net right near the top!  So it certainly
includes web sites attempting to collect information about you
without asking, which one might call lower-grade phishing.  The
purpose is probably just to avoid repeatedly running an expensive
routine on some common hostnames that are already judged to be not
outright identity-theft frauds.

I don't see any reason at all to score lower for seeing these.

Joseph Brennan

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi Giga,

giga328 wrote:
> Thank you Jeff and Anthony.
> If I'm right, there is big possibility for SpamAssassin to mark as spam some
> email from for example doubleclick or other companies if there is
> personalized URL in it because it can look like spam or even like phishing.
> If I'm protecting only my mailbox it will be ok to block such emils, but if
> I'm making ISP email system for hosting email for several companies, there
> are chances that one of these companies will be customer of doubleclick so
> emails from doubleclick for them are ham.
> I know that doubleclick is involved in online WEB advertising (cookie
> tracking, pop-ups, maybe even some executable malware) but I never heard
> that they are involved in email spam. So it is not ok to block email by
> default if they are sending it to their customers.
> So maybe is more reasonable to talk about next questions:
> What is your opinion about possibilities for SpamAssassin to block email
> from doubleclick (and other companies) which are regular email sent to their
> customers?
> Is it possible to use safe list from MailScanner with SpamAssassin to make
> some rules which will score for example -2?
> I still do not have information about how and why there is safe list in
> MailScanner, but there is something telling me it is there because some
> software will judge wrong :) We have live users on this list who judged
> wrong!

I don't really follow your logic, but I think it is faulty.

I don't think you should pursue this train of thought any further.  I
don't think you understand what those MailScanner lists are for, why
certain sites are listed in them, and how they are used.  You seem to be
basing all of your assumptions purely on the names of the files.

The lists in MailScanner that you are referring to have absolutely
nothing to do with SPAM detection.  They are used in MailScanner's
Phishing detection feature.  I really do not think they can be used
without modification in SA as SPAM signs.

--
Anthony Peacock
"A CAT scan should take less time than a PET scan.  For a CAT scan,

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
Quoting giga328 <gi...@hotmail.com>:

> Thank you Jeff and Anthony.
> If I'm right, there is big possibility for SpamAssassin to mark as spam some
> email from for example doubleclick or other companies if there is
> personalized URL in it because it can look like spam or even like phishing.
> If I'm protecting only my mailbox it will be ok to block such emils, but if
> I'm making ISP email system for hosting email for several companies, there
> are chances that one of these companies will be customer of doubleclick so
> emails from doubleclick for them are ham.
> I know that doubleclick is involved in online WEB advertising (cookie
> tracking, pop-ups, maybe even some executable malware) but I never heard
> that they are involved in email spam. So it is not ok to block email by
> default if they are sending it to their customers.
> So maybe is more reasonable to talk about next questions:
> What is your opinion about possibilities for SpamAssassin to block email
> from doubleclick (and other companies) which are regular email sent to their
> customers?
> Is it possible to use safe list from MailScanner with SpamAssassin to make
> some rules which will score for example -2?
> I still do not have information about how and why there is safe list in
> MailScanner, but there is something telling me it is there because some
> software will judge wrong :) We have live users on this list who judged
> wrong!
>
> Regards,
> Giga

Your assumptions and conclusions are incorrect.  I recommend using the
files as MailScanner recommends.

Jeff C.

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi Mous,

mouss wrote:
> giga328 wrote:
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> I will ask people from MailScanner also but for my email system is not
>> possible to use MailScanner directly so I'm using spamd. My question is
>> about lowering chances for false positives by having safe list from
>> MailScanner. But since I just started to use SpamAssassing I'm asking
>> is it
>> wise and needed.
>>

> ems, doubclick, salesforce, affistats, ... in a whitelist? looks like
> 1st April came sooner this year.

But it is _NOT_ a spam whitelist.  This has been my point all along, you
can't take a list intended for one purpose and use it in a another
situation without understanding what it is there for.

These are white and blacklists for the Phising detection feature, they
have nothing to do with spam detection.

--
Anthony Peacock
"I'm in shape. - ROUND is a shape"

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
Quoting mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>:

> giga328 wrote:
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> I will ask people from MailScanner also but for my email system is not
>> possible to use MailScanner directly so I'm using spamd. My question is
>> about lowering chances for false positives by having safe list from
>> MailScanner. But since I just started to use SpamAssassing I'm asking is it
>> wise and needed.
>>

> ems, doubclick, salesforce, affistats, ... in a whitelist? looks like
> 1st April came sooner this year.

All it means is that they're probably not phishers.  Given that
they're nominally real companies not in Russia, Ukraine or Romania, if
they were phishing they'd probably be sent to prison pretty quickly.

Jeff C.

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi,

I wasn't suggesting that you used MailScanner, I was merely pointing out
that these lists are very specifically created and used for a feature of
MailScanner that has nothing to do with SPAM detection, ie the Phising
Detection feature.

Because of that you will need to know what the inclusion crieria for
each list is, and what the siginificance of inclusion is.  In order to
find that out you are best to ask the person who created them, ie the
author of MailScanner.

Re: Safe "Phishing"

Posted by giga328 <gi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Anthony,