Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie> on 2001/10/22 23:31:13 UTC

Tomcat 4.0.1 not updating the webapp

Hi all

I took 4.0.1 and have the same problem with the updating of webapps. I
install my webapp using the manager/install?... and remove using
manager/remove?... Everything is fine. Then I install the new version
from the same war file (definitely, new version of it), get "OK", and in
the browser I still see the same _old_ content. It's not browser's
fault, I am sure (checked with lynx and "telnet localhost 80"). It seems
that tomcat keeps in memory the old content of classes and jsps. Is
there a way to overcome this?
BTW, in the webapps directory the content is old too.:( Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks is advance,

Sergey

RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 not updating the webapp

Posted by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie>.
> 	Are you creating the ".WAR" on one machine then copying it to a server on
> another machine?  If so, then check that the clocks on the two machines are
> set to the same time.  I've had problems where my compile-machine's clock
> was running a little slow, which made the ".WAR" file appear to be older
> than the already-unpacked directory.  In this case, Tomcat figures you've
> modified the existing directory, so it doesn't unpack the new one.
No. Everything is on the same system. The time machine is working
properly. But tomcat still does not want to update the application:(

Thanks for idea,

Posted by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie>.
> I think it's a JDK bug. Since the WAR will be opened through a JAR URL, it
> is cached by the JDK until the JVM is terminated. I tried everything (since
> it caused another problem), but there's no workaround unless you make the
> URLs strings different.
Cool! OK, I'll try IBM's JDK.

> I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that file based JAR URLs have that
> problem.
I use the jar:file://... url. Do you say that I have to unpack my WAR
before deploying?

Regards,

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.
> Hi:
>
> Are you creating the ".WAR" on one machine then copying it to a server on
> another machine?  If so, then check that the clocks on the two machines
are
> set to the same time.  I've had problems where my compile-machine's clock
> was running a little slow, which made the ".WAR" file appear to be older
> than the already-unpacked directory.  In this case, Tomcat figures you've
> modified the existing directory, so it doesn't unpack the new one.
>
> Greg Trasuk, President
> StratusCom Manufacturing Systems Inc. - We use information technology to
> solve business problems on your plant floor.
> http://stratuscom.ca

I think it's a JDK bug. Since the WAR will be opened through a JAR URL, it
is cached by the JDK until the JVM is terminated. I tried everything (since
it caused another problem), but there's no workaround unless you make the
URLs strings different.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that file based JAR URLs have that
problem.

Remy

RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 not updating the webapp

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
Hi: