Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kyrylo Lebediev <Ky...@epam.com.INVALID> on 2018/09/08 05:42:52 UTC

RE: Java 11 support in Cassandra 4.0 + Early Testing and Feedback

As many people use Oracle JDK, I think it worth mentioning that according Oracle Support Roadmap there are some changes in their policies for Java 11 and above (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html).

In particular:
“Starting with Java SE 9, in addition to providing Oracle JDK for free under the BCL<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/license>, Oracle also started providing builds of OpenJDK<http://openjdk.java.net/> under an open source license<http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html> (similar to that of Linux). Oracle is working to make the Oracle JDK and OpenJDK builds from Oracle interchangeable<https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/faster-and-easier-use-and-redistribution-of-java-se> - targeting developers and organizations that do not want commercial support or enterprise management tools. Beginning with Oracle Java SE 11 (18.9 LTS), the Oracle JDK will continue to be available royalty-free for development, testing, prototyping or demonstrating purposes. As announced in September 2017<https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/faster-and-easier-use-and-redistribution-of-java-se>, with the OracleJDK and builds of Oracle OpenJDK being interchangeable for releases of Java SE 11 and later, the Oracle JDK will primarily be for commercial and support customers and OpenJDK builds from Oracle are for those who do not want commercial support or enterprise management tools.”

What these statements mean for Cassandra users in terms of which JDK (there are several OSS alternatives available) is the best to use in case of absence of active Oracle/Java Subscription?

Regards,
Kyrill